You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

TYPE LEADING CONFUSION

Nixerman

4 hours ago, Nixerman said:

WHY? WHY? WHY??????

Perhaps taking a course in typography would help you the best to understand these advanced options? :) 
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=course+in+typography

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

6 hours ago, Nixerman said:

Can someone explain what are these 500 different Lead options

In the Help pages, you'll find this:

• Leading—controls the distance between text baselines (vertical gap between lines) within the paragraph. Select from the pop-up menu. Options include:
    • Default—sets the line spacing to the font's default (i.e., single).
    • Exactly—sets a fixed spacing (other text attributes are ignored for line spacing purposes). This can be adjusted using the presets in the pop-up menu.
    • % Height—sets spacing based on a percentage of the text's size. This can be adjusted using the presets in the pop-up menu.
    • At Least—sets a minimum spacing (actual line spacing may increase depending on other text attributes). This can be adjusted using the presets in the pop-up menu.
    • Multiple—controls line spacing as a portion of the default. This can be adjusted using the presets in the pop-up menu.

Affinity Suite 2.4 – Monterey 12.7.4 – MacBookPro 14" 2021 M1 Pro 16Go/1To

I apologise for any approximations in my English. It is not my mother tongue.

9 hours ago, Nixerman said:

Can someone explain what are these 500 different Lead options - Default, Multiply etc etc.. and why does it change to Multiply when it’s change to Default when we adjust the numbers. WHY? WHY? WHY??????

Although the free PDF manual I've shared in the forum provides steps and screenshots only for macOS and Windows, I think you'll find it useful in this case for iPad. The manual explains these options but also goes into some detail on when they change, how they're displayed, and the best options to select. You'll find the leading section on page 84 of the current edition, available from my signature below.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

16 hours ago, loukash said:

Perhaps taking a course in typography would help you the best to understand these advanced options? :) 
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=course+in+typography

I know but i have honestly never seen these presets ever in my life. I’ve been working on the Mac version all these years but since i’m away from my Mac, i work on iPad, and personally, things have just been difficult to understand on iPad. Specially the Font part and I’ve had to constantly take help from the Forum. My only advice to the iPad team, is keep it simple and don’t mix things around. No one needs to do PhD on typography (apart from understanding the basics) just to work on Designer iPad.

12 hours ago, MikeTO said:

Although the free PDF manual I've shared in the forum provides steps and screenshots only for macOS and Windows, I think you'll find it useful in this case for iPad. The manual explains these options but also goes into some detail on when they change, how they're displayed, and the best options to select. You'll find the leading section on page 84 of the current edition, available from my signature below.

Thank you, I’ll go through this in my free time. 🙂

Just now, Nixerman said:

I know but i have honestly never seen these presets ever in my life. I’ve been working on the Mac version all these years

It was there, always, in the Paragraph panel's Spacing section where it belongs.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2