You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher 2.3 Document size problem

Hi 

I have a document with this size the bleed is 20 mm

AFFINITY_PUBLISHER_23_DOCUMENT_SETUP1.jpg.b643338bc010e58a11497b9b89aded5b.jpg

The document is like this we see the red Border of the bleed

AFFINITY_PUBLISHER_23_DOCUMENT_SETUP2.thumb.jpg.e2c17b8d77afdd951fd0f4f35b6fca55.jpg

I have tried toi change the width's document size from 664 mm to 657 mm

AFFINITY_PUBLISHER_23_DOCUMENT_SETUP3.jpg.a4ea9289867204269d66b68cff049eba.jpg 

and as you see i have a curious bleed border and dosen't match with the size wanted

AFFINITY_PUBLISHER_23_DOCUMENT_SETUP4.jpg.c12d147beb20157c19dd1152e5d0e173.jpg 

and if i come back to the document setup i have Width = 328,5 instead 657 mm   and the document is in Portrait orientation instead landscape

AFFINITY_PUBLISHER_23_DOCUMENT_SETUP5.jpg.b2e9608768ee52407d9294e09a210355.jpg

I tried many times but still same result 

Any idea ?

Thanks a lot for your Help

32 minutes ago, kamelus said:

if i come back to the document setup i have Width = 328,5 instead 657 mm   and the document is in Portrait orientation instead landscape

… and, while there might be an issue with the Spread vs. Page option, oddly, the orientation icon still shows landscape as being set, which results in a conflict that doesn't make it possible to check the actually used setting: landscape or portrait?

landscape.jpg.35aee7c5fdeb2928116c08d531f1d122.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

2 hours ago, thomaso said:

… and, while there might be an issue with the Spread vs. Page option, oddly, the orientation icon still shows landscape as being set, which results in a conflict that doesn't make it possible to check the actually used setting: landscape or portrait?

I think I've previously reported that the orientation icon gets confused after using Spread vs. Page but I can't find it right now. There are some issues still lurking in the v2 doc setup dialog.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

4 hours ago, thomaso said:

landscape.jpg.35aee7c5fdeb2928116c08d531f1d122.jpg

Hi Thomaso thanks for your quick reply , am sure that the landscape icon is hilighted

1 hour ago, MikeTO said:

I think I've previously reported that the orientation icon gets confused after using Spread vs. Page but I can't find it right now. There are some issues still lurking in the v2 doc setup dialog.

My undestanding is that tihis issue is a Bug , i think that id didn't have this issue with the version bedore 2.2

Really it's a big problem for me i can't reduce the size of document and than i can't Go forward in my editing Book

1 hour ago, kamelus said:

am sure that the landscape icon is hilighted

Yes, while the numerical values for 'Dimension' indicate a portrait format. This is the mentioned conflict … and apparently (part of) a bug.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

16 hours ago, thomaso said:

Yes, while the numerical values for 'Dimension' indicate a portrait format. This is the mentioned conflict … and apparently (part of) a bug.

16 hours ago, thomaso said:

Hope the Technical team will find a solution soon if not the only solution for me is to change the soft 

Click on Page, and then back to Spread, to try to reset page setup to something logical. 
May be you will have then to specify again the correct size.

There is a bug that sometimes divides pages instead of the spread. I see that quite often but it does not resist a long time when I change from one setting to the other. 

Affinity Suite 2.4 – Monterey 12.7.4 – MacBookPro 14" 2021 M1 Pro 16Go/1To

I apologise for any approximations in my English. It is not my mother tongue.

4 hours ago, Oufti said:

Click on Page, and then back to Spread, to try to reset page setup to something logical. 
May be you will have then to specify again the correct size.

There is a bug that sometimes divides pages instead of the spread. I see that quite often but it does not resist a long time when I change from one setting to the other. 

Thanks oufti for the idea but it didn' work unfortunately 

One possible solution for your cover is to create a brand new document from scratch with facing pages unchecked including the page and bleed dimensions required by the printer before placing your artwork. 

Edited by PE1

5 hours ago, PE1 said:

One possible solution for your cover is to create a brand new document from scratch with facing pages unchecked including the page and bleed dimensions required by the printer before placing your artwork. 

Hi PE1 thanks for the idea i had the same yesterday and it's worked but for me it's a bug and have to be resolved by the Seriff team 

I was able to recreate the problem revealing the what appears to be a bug to me under certain specific conditions. I am using Windows 10 Affinity V 2.3.0

The problem occurs when a user opens the Document settings to make a change or check the status of the Document setup when working in a (facing pages) configuration under specific conditions which I demonstrate using a color overlay photo and short video of me clicking the Red and Green areas and a graphic at the end simulating the document dimensions that was posted.  

When a Document is created using Facing Pages, under certain conditions, the Page dimension values and thumbnail are shown instead of the Spread values even though you see the Spread button in a selected state. Immediately you will notice a mismatch from actual document and the dialog box. See the video.

You can temporarily fix this by pressing the Page button then pressing the Spread button before making any changes which I also demonstrate in the video. When you do this you will see an updated thumbnail of the Spread and its values representing the document's true state. However, the problem occurs again when you reopen the Document settings under specific conditions.

To better Illustrate the certain specific conditions I observed, I created an Red and Green overlay of the Document View area. This represents a four page document with facing pages turned on.

ts1.png.22ca2b5ab240149c48b523c0e648ffda.png

Below is a demonstration of what occurs when clicking the colored areas and opening the Document Setup looking at the Spread settings.

lp1.gif.b50e4a5b01f1f6ca968f1f608a1c165c.gif

If I left click anywhere in the Red area of the user interface and open the Documnent Settings you will notice a pressed Spread button showing a W x H values and a thumbnail that actually belongs to the Page Dimensions which is half of the Spread. One method to update it is to click the Page button and then click the Spread button again. I believe the developers have a number of methods so that the Spread values will show correctly the first time when this red area is in focus (clicked/active)and the Document Settings is opened. 

If I left click in the Green area, and reopen the Document Settings I see the correct Spread values as displayed in the actual document. No problems when doing this in the Green area that I can see. The problem occurs in the Red area. Notice when when the focus is in the Green area, the Spread thumbnail matches the spread of pages 2 and 3 with the W x H values matching the Spread dimensions that is seen in the actual document.

It requires further investigation but it seems to me that with a facing pages setup, something needs to be done when the focus is in (red area) in the Document View part of the interface so that the Spread values of the document are are presented properly when the user opens the Document Settings > Dimensions tab just like the green area. At least that how I see it at this point.

Having run a simulation with the exact outcome as the original post, I believe that the document began as a 1328 mm x 256 mm Spread. Page Width 664 mm and Page Height 256 mm with facing pages = 1328 Spread. Remember a Page Width is not the same as a Spread. If a user generated only 1 page in the creation phase, the user could've thought they were in a the spread especially when the bug showed incorrect values of what was really a right page when opening the Dimensions tab in the Document Settings (See second photo from the user's original post which is actually the first right page of a facing pages setup). The first photo that the user posted is actually showing the values of a right first Page not a Spread. When the value of 657 was entered what really happened is the Spread was being changed from a 1328 mm (the documents actual size) to a 657 mm size cutting the document in half minus the 7mm adjustment the user wanted to make resulting in a 657 mm Spread width and 328.5 right page as displayed in the fourth photo. It is important to note that the Spread Width and Height fields are still functioning as Spread values when you type in the adjustments in the Spread width field and press OK. 

afe.jpg.00f5e6b7c5b8cdb9ab93881e7df55e3e.jpg

The bug of the Spread data not showing correct values when opening the Document Settings, seems to occur when the (Red) area (the Document View part of the interface is in focus (clicked/active) while the person opens the Document Settings. My testing shows what I believe to be consistent results on my end. When testing this reopen the Document Settings again and you will see the problem pop up again. 

I might have to re upload the video. It is actually a video converted as gif loop.  You may have to wait for it to load. I had trouble uploading the original.  

4 hours ago, PE1 said:

J'ai pu recréer le problème, révélant ce qui me semble être un bug dans certaines conditions spécifiques. J'utilise Windows 10 Affinity V 2.3.0

Le problème se produit lorsqu'un utilisateur ouvre les paramètres du document pour apporter une modification ou vérifier l'état de la configuration du document lorsqu'il travaille dans une configuration (pages en regard) dans des conditions spécifiques que je démontre avec une photo superposée en couleur et une courte vidéo de moi en cliquant sur le bouton rouge. et les espaces verts.  

Lorsqu'un document est créé à l'aide de pages en vis-à-vis, dans certaines conditions, les valeurs de dimension de page et la vignette s'affichent à la place des valeurs de répartition même si vous voyez le bouton Répartir dans un état sélectionné. Vous remarquerez immédiatement une inadéquation entre le document réel et la boîte de dialogue. Voir la vidéo.

Vous pouvez temporairement résoudre ce problème en appuyant sur le bouton Page, puis en appuyant sur le bouton Spread avant d'apporter des modifications, ce que je démontre également dans la vidéo. Lorsque vous faites cela, vous verrez une vignette mise à jour de la planche et de ses valeurs représentant le véritable état du document. 

Pour mieux illustrer certaines conditions spécifiques que j'ai observées, j'ai créé une superposition rouge et verte de la zone d'affichage du document. Cela représente un document de quatre pages avec les pages en regard activées.

ts1.png.22ca2b5ab240149c48b523c0e648ffda.png

Vous trouverez ci-dessous une démonstration de ce qui se produit lorsque vous cliquez sur les zones colorées et ouvrez les paramètres de diffusion.

lp1.gif.b50e4a5b01f1f6ca968f1f608a1c165c.gif

Si je clique gauche n'importe où dans la zone rouge de l'interface utilisateur et que j'ouvre les paramètres du document, vous remarquerez un bouton de diffusion enfoncé affichant les valeurs L x H et une vignette qui appartient en fait aux dimensions de la page qui représentent la moitié de la diffusion. Une méthode pour le mettre à jour consiste à cliquer sur le bouton Page, puis à cliquer à nouveau sur le bouton Spread. Je pense que les développeurs disposent d'un certain nombre de méthodes pour que les valeurs de propagation s'affichent correctement la première fois lorsque cette zone rouge est mise au point (cliquée/active) et que les paramètres du document sont ouverts. 

Si je clique gauche dans la zone verte et que je rouvre les paramètres du document, je vois les valeurs de répartition correctes telles qu'affichées dans le document réel. Aucun problème ici. La vignette de la planche correspond à la planche des pages 2 et 3, les valeurs L x H correspondant aux dimensions de la planche comme on le voit dans le document réel.

Cela nécessite une enquête plus approfondie, mais il me semble qu'avec une configuration de pages en vis-à-vis, quelque chose doit être fait lorsque le focus est sur (zone rouge) afin que les valeurs de répartition du document soient présentées correctement lorsque l'utilisateur ouvre les paramètres du document > Onglet Dimensions tout comme la zone verte. C'est du moins comme ça que je le vois à ce stade.

Après avoir exécuté une simulation avec le résultat exact du message d'origine, je crois que le document a commencé comme une planche de 1328 mm x 256 mm. Largeur de page 664 mm et hauteur de page 256 mm avec pages en regard = 1328 pages. N'oubliez pas qu'une largeur de page n'est pas la même chose qu'une planche. Si un utilisateur n'avait généré qu'une seule page lors de la phase de création, l'utilisateur aurait pu penser qu'il était dans une page, surtout lorsque le bug affichait des valeurs incorrectes de ce qui était réellement une bonne page lors de l'ouverture de l'onglet Dimensions dans les paramètres du document (voir deuxième photo). à partir du message original qui est en fait la première page de droite.) La première photo publiée par l'utilisateur montre en fait les valeurs de la page et non une page. Lorsque la valeur de 657 a été saisie, ce qui s'est réellement passé, c'est que la largeur de propagation modifiée est passée de 1 328 mm (la taille réelle du document) à 657, coupant le document en deux moins l'ajustement de 7 mm que l'utilisateur souhaitait effectuer, ce qui donne une largeur de propagation de 657 mm et 328,5. page de droite comme indiqué sur la quatrième photo. Il est important de noter que les champs Largeur de répartition et Hauteur fonctionnent toujours comme valeurs de répartition lorsque vous saisissez les ajustements et appuyez sur OK. 

Le bug des données Spread n'affiche pas les valeurs correctes lors de l'ouverture des paramètres du document et semble se produire lorsque la zone (rouge) est mise au point (cliquée/active).

Je devrai peut-être remettre en ligne la vidéo. Il s'agit en fait d'une vidéo convertie en gif. Je ne sais pas si vous pouvez le voir. Puisque j'ai eu du mal à télécharger l'original. Je reviendrai bientôt pour voir si c'est le cas. 

First Thanks you so much for all the detail you shared on this message , your vido is very helpful i think for better view of this bug displaying the margins on the document like in my screen capture i have shared will show the gap between the value and what we really see in the document after. but n my opinion it's cleau that is a Bug and i don't know how to submit it to the technical team

Thanks PE1 for your Help

15 hours ago, kamelus said:

In my opinion it's clear that is a Bug and i don't know how to submit it to the technical team

Create a new topic in the appropriate bug section of the forums.
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/71-bug-reporting/
Follow the instructions. 

Affinity Suite 2.4 – Monterey 12.7.4 – MacBookPro 14" 2021 M1 Pro 16Go/1To

I apologise for any approximations in my English. It is not my mother tongue.

On 12/11/2023 at 2:51 AM, kamelus said:

In my opinion it's clear that is a Bug

Your welcome,

Yes, I agree I also feel this is a bug that needs to be addressed very soon because there is incorrect information being shown under a certain conditions. Your situation is a perfect example of how things can go wrong rather quickly working on incorrect feedback from the dialog box.  

This was very confusing. I didn't want to upload until I felt that I found a common denominator on when and where it happens because results varied.  It seems to me that it depends on the part of the Doucument View area in the applications interface.  The first two place holders area for the facing pages? "region"? red area in my diagram in the Document View is where I see this happening. 

I hope this will help narrow down where the issue is in their code. Its probably just a tiny little tweek that is needed. Its a good thing that you spotted this.

9 hours ago, Oufti said:

Create a new topic in the appropriate bug section of the forums.
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/71-bug-reporting/
Follow the instructions. 

Thanks oufti i have posted now in the appropriate bug section

8 hours ago, PE1 said:

Your welcome,

Yes, I agree I also feel this is a bug because there is incorrect information being shown under a certain condition. Your situation is a perfect example of how things can go wrong rather quickly working on incorrect feedback from the dialog box.  

This was very confusing. I didn't want to upload until I felt that I found a common denominator on when and where it happens because results varied.  It seems to me that it depends on the part of the Doucument View area in the applications interface.  The first two place holders area for the facing pages? "region"? red area in my diagram in the Document View is where I see this happening. 

I hope this will help narrow down where the issue is in their code. Its probably just a tiny little tweek that is needed.

Thanks a lot for your help and your time