You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to use the new pixel grid & move/duplicate tool?

Joe S.

I cannot figure out how to use the pixel grid on iPad, at least not how to get lines to snap to the grid. I setup a grid with 10px squares in the Pixel persona, selected the pixel tool, set its width to 10px, and pored over all the snapping settings to no avail. Pretty sure I’m missing something obvious.

I have the same issue with the new move/duplicate options - is a keyboard required to hit return?

28 minutes ago, Joe S. said:

I have the same issue with the new move/duplicate options - is a keyboard required to hit return?

Move Data Entry is a desktop function only.

28 minutes ago, Joe S. said:

I cannot figure out how to use the pixel grid on iPad,

The new Pixel Grid is a 1x1 px grid. It will only show when you're zoomed-in enough that individual pixels could be visible, and is enabled separately in the Grid settings here: 

image.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
    Laptop 2: Windows 11 Pro 24H2,  16GB memory, Snapdragon(R) X Elite - X1E80100 - Qualcomm(R) Oryon(TM) 12 Core CPU 4.01 GHz, Qualcomm(R) Adreno(TM) X1-85 GPU
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.6.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.6.1

If you want to be using a 10px grid, you would use a Standard Grid, not the Pixel Grid, and set it to 10px.

You would then use Snapping options of Snap to Grid. And probably many/most other Snapping options off. But I don't produce your kind of art, so I can't say much more than that; sorry.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
    Laptop 2: Windows 11 Pro 24H2,  16GB memory, Snapdragon(R) X Elite - X1E80100 - Qualcomm(R) Oryon(TM) 12 Core CPU 4.01 GHz, Qualcomm(R) Adreno(TM) X1-85 GPU

Pretty strange that Serif Labs wouldn’t release the new Duplicate/Move function on iPad…?

That kind of function was even present i Xara in 1995…

Happy guy playing around with the Affinity Suite - really love typographic, photographing, Color & forms, AND, old Synthesizers from the 1980-1990’s…

Macbook Pro 16” M1 2021 connected to an 32” curved 5K external display, iPad Pro 12.9” M1 2021, iPad Pro 10.5” A10X 2017, iMac 27” 5K/i7 late 2015 - also an Lenovo iMac i7 clone with 24” touch screen and Windows 10…

10 hours ago, AffinityMakesMeSmile said:

Pretty strange that Serif Labs wouldn’t release the new Duplicate/Move function on iPad…?

That kind of function was even present i Xara in 1995…

There are a number of functions that aren't available in the iPad versions of the applications. Only Serif staff would be able to say why.

This one is clearly listed as desktop-only. Maybe it will come to the iPad later.

-- Walt
PC:

22 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

There are a number of functions that aren't available in the iPad versions of the applications. Only Serif staff would be able to say why.

This one is clearly listed as desktop-only. Maybe it will come to the iPad later.

In the same time, this kind of functionality in an vector app isn’t that CPU intensive, and, Xara had this already in the mid 90’s - the power of modern iPads can handle everything average “desktop” computers handles.

Although I have both an Macbook Pro 16” (M-cpu) and a Windows computer, in the long run I use my big iPad Pro the most, so I miss this new function/feature…

Happy guy playing around with the Affinity Suite - really love typographic, photographing, Color & forms, AND, old Synthesizers from the 1980-1990’s…

Macbook Pro 16” M1 2021 connected to an 32” curved 5K external display, iPad Pro 12.9” M1 2021, iPad Pro 10.5” A10X 2017, iMac 27” 5K/i7 late 2015 - also an Lenovo iMac i7 clone with 24” touch screen and Windows 10…

The Affinity editions of the iPad editions are so clumsily implemented for tablet interfaces that I've ended up only using them where I can't use my Mac, and I therefore use my iPad Pro for corrections most of the time. Often when I use Affinity on the iPad remotely I stop and think "No, I'll wait until I'm sitting at the desktop computer. It's much easier there." And it is.

That's my disappointment. And it's a shame. It's unrealised potential. Serif just needs to look over its shoulder at many other graphic programs that have been beautifully implemented for tablets.

And my sense is that Serif is having the hardest time figuring out how to squeeze additional functionality into a rather chaotic user interface on the iPad.

I simply no longer believe that there are any professional graphic designers here. Everything follows suit. Just everything.

8 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I could have sworn that I saw both icons on the What's New page. However, I have ADHD so my brain might have made it up 🤷🏽‍♂️

7 hours ago, Bit Arts said:

The Affinity editions of the iPad editions are so clumsily implemented for tablet interfaces that I've ended up only using them where I can't use my Mac

I have yet to find a single app with desktop & iPad versions where they nailed the UI for touch but Affinity has done a great job. Clip Studio Paint impressively ported their entire desktop app to iPad but ridiculously kept the same interface with some touch modifier options - and then added a dumbed down touch only interface for sketching this year.

What I'm finding out about the Affinity apps is that they are MUCH more touch enabled than I thought. I watched half of a youtube vid on Designer touch gestures this morning and came away shocked that there's much more there than I thought or had tried. I really need to go through the entire manual to get a better handle of what's possible.

That being said, I hope the Move Data Entry improvements come to the iPad eventually to maintain feature parity. Being creative on the go is such a boon, despite the distinct advantages of the desktop.