You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

New Text Style Disappears from Menu in Affinity Designer V2

It is unclear where it disappears (or does not appear) unintentionally. Is it from the document where it got created – or from new created documents?

Possibly it helps to select the wanted styles + choose "Save Styles as Default" in the Text Styles Panel's burger menu.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Text Styles are saved with the document they are created in, so they shouldn’t ‘disappear’ from a document except via user action*.

If you open a new document the Text Styles created in another document will not usually be there in the Text Styles Panel because, as I said above, they are saved in the document rather than the application.

If you want to use the Text Styles from one document in another document then you will need to import them, search the Help for text style import for more information on that.

* However, it’s worth noting that some Text Styles only appear in the Text Styles Panel at certain times (e.g. when editing a TOC, etc.)

I was unaware that the new text style pertains to only the document in which it was created. It would make more sense (to me anyway) for that text style to remain in the text style menu so it could be used on other documents as well. I'm applying English text, in the same style, to a non-English comic that has been scanned, so every page is a new document.

Importing text styles only makes the desired text style available to the document in which it has been imported. I want it available to all documents.

The only other alternative was to make the text style the default text style, which is what I did. Unfortunately, that wasn't a total success. I can get the text style to appear in the styles menu in new documents, that is, documents created in Affinity Designer, but not existing ones.

47 minutes ago, Rollobot said:

It would make more sense (to me anyway) for that text style to remain in the text style menu so it could be used on other documents as well.

The Text Style panel settings/options (3-bar menu) allows you to save your current set of Text Styles as the default for future documents, too.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.5, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.5

55 minutes ago, Rollobot said:

It would make more sense (to me anyway) for that text style to remain in the text style menu (…)
(…)
I can get the text style to appear in the styles menu in new documents, that is, documents created in Affinity Designer, but not existing ones.

Luckily not every saved text style appears automatically in the panel of every document – this might cause quite a lot up to several hundreds of style entries in the panel over time.

Apart from the mentioned ways to choose "Save Styles as Default" for future documents and "Import Styles…" for existing documents you can also add saved styles to the panel of existing documents by …

• copy/paste them as text selection or as frames
• save them as Assets + drag them to the wanted documents

textstyleassets.jpg.4f75b9c5e88e7c8926af8de921f41acb.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Thanks for those replies. Much appreciated.

Despite a few learning hiccups along the way, I continue to be impressed with Designer and Photo (I purchased the latter just recently). Not only do they run on my PC with a minimum of fuss and have great interfaces, they must rank as two of the best value software on the market, especially when you compare the cost of purchasing them outright to the ongoing one of renting their main competition.