You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher: Set page size for export

Hi,

I am currently working on an A4 sized document and the printer has gven me precise specifications on how the need the pages.

They a very specific page size of 226.6 x 311.4 mm (total size including bleed and crop marks).

The export with crop marks from Publisher is a bit larger, so I could crop it if I had Acrobat — ideally though, I would like to set this page size as export size so I don‘t have to edit the exported PDF. Any idea on how to set this up?

P.S. — Please don‘t try to convince me that the page size doesn‘t matter as long as the content is centered and crop marks fit. The printer insists on getting pages of this exact size and there is nothing I can do about it.

I would try hand-rolling one. Put in the crop marks and some guides for A4 Page size as well as for the Bleed. Here is a quick and nasty example. Export as a plain PDF for you printer.

odd page size.afpub

You could use the Margins for the Page Size (A4) but that would maybe be too much work figuring it out.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

In Affinity we don't have an interface to edit any of the four parameters in the Export dialog named "printers marks". I see two options:

• There are online tools available to crop the pages of a PDF. Maybe there is one which allows the required precision of 0.1 mm.

• Create the document pages in the required total size and place the layout content + bleed + marks accordingly. In this case the crop marks would be handmade and placed on a Master Page and the export would happen with "bleed" and "marks" deactivated. But this would not work if your print service's software wants to use the PDF "bleed box" (currently it is unclear if they will use this).

However it appears unusual up to quite strange that the print service requests a PDF with such detailed dimensions in particular since a.) the required horizontal / vertical crop mark areas are different (10.6 vs. 8.4 mm) and b.) there is no crop mark standard that would automatically result in a PDF with this specifications.

Since you are requested to deliver a PDF with a precision of tenths of a millimetre: The unit inside the PDF file format is point (pt), there are a few threads in the forum reporting problems with PDF files being rejected by automatic prepress software due to rounded values in the final dimensions.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1