You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Problem with second stroke of raster brushes in Affinity Designer, Pixel persona

AlessioFB

As you can see in the gif, if I start the second stroke right after the first one, then that stroke makes a "straight line" or a "v" shape, as if the line were jumping to the starting point for a frame.

My specs:
Designer 2.2.1
Windows 10
Processor:AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT 8-Core Processor, 3901 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070
Monitor: Huion Kanva 24 (one of 4 monitors)

image.png.bb24e044367aafe91b3e8e42a0269280.png

image.png.0c78ae332036b10e108ab0976b24bfd0.png

image.gif.c1ee30e0242d57f1fedce694277189a5.gif

Please clarify: your topic title mentions both "vector brushes" and "pixel persona". One of those is probably wrong, as the pixel persona doesn't have vector brushes.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Hi AlessioFB,

Could you check your task managers to look at running processes and try to spot any spikes when you draw. Does it also occur only the minimal displays running? What resolutions are you running them all at?

You could also try altering your performance preferences in edit > settings > performance to see if reducing the view quality/retina rendering setting/ disabling hardware acceleration have any affect on this issue.

Lee

3 hours ago, Lee_T said:

Hi AlessioFB,

Could you check your task managers to look at running processes and try to spot any spikes when you draw. Does it also occur only the minimal displays running? What resolutions are you running them all at?

You could also try altering your performance preferences in edit > settings > performance to see if reducing the view quality/retina rendering setting/ disabling hardware acceleration have any affect on this issue.

Lee

Hi Lee, thank you for answering so fast.

Displays: I disconnected anything else, run only the graphic monitor, still having the same problem. (I run the rest of testing on a singly monitor). Usually I use: Huion 2.5k, another 2.5k, one 4k and one 1080.

Task Manager: no spikes at all. Everything flat and smooth. CPU and GPU barely notice that I am drawing.

Other software: no issues (I tested on Clip Studio Paint, to see if it was related to Huion driver or Windows).

Performance settings:
Retina quality: no difference.
Hardware Acceleration: no difference.

Renderer: I tried them all, no difference. (I wonder though why NVIDIA appears twice).
image.png.a95abf700ea2b5efcbc8681689cc3e9a.png

I could reinstall the NVIDIA drivers, if you think that could make any difference.

I have tested with new files and I noticed something interesting:
if I open a new file and I create a single raster layer, then the effect is very minimal. I can notice it only on the very end of few strokes.
But if I then add some other objects to the file, the effect starts happening.

I made two gifs for you, showing it with the same file, same resolution, same brush, with the only difference being the presence of few rectangles.

image.gif.e0323a9e48bf4ef8b0784008ca84d7c6.gif

image.gif.d204382d8883e042a9479c7b645a89fb.gif

I hope this is helpful to find the culprit and a solution.

I tried different documents. The newest gifs are from a new document.
I used the "iPad 12.9 Retina" preset. So 1366 x 1024 points. But it happens on documents of other resolutions too.
image.png.f77601cdc6011f35c1faa05a32400ce6.png

About the bruh size: I reproduced it consistently with all brushes of all sizes, from the simple "one pixel" to the heaviest and biggest texture brushes.

And here is a gif of mouse drawing on that same document, using a 4px round brush:

image.gif.260e4fb1f6ce5d3810faaa38aceab4e8.gif

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

Hi AlessioFB, 

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I've now been able to recreate this and we have it logged as a bug to look into. It seems it's to do with the the layers studio panel. Until there's a patch for this, a workaround is to hide the layers panel temporarily whilst you paint.

Lee

55 minutes ago, Lee_T said:

Hi AlessioFB, 

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I've now been able to recreate this and we have it logged as a bug to look into. It seems it's to do with the the layers studio panel. Until there's a patch for this, a workaround is to hide the layers panel temporarily whilst you paint.

Lee

Wow, thank you!
Even though it's a workaround, it makes a world of difference! This finally allows me to use Affinity Desiner Pixel Persona to normally sketch before working with vectors.
Thanks 🙏

2 hours ago, Lee_T said:

Hi AlessioFB, 

Sorrey for the delay in getting back to you, I've now been able to recreate this and we have it logged as a bug to look into. It seems it's to do with the the layers studio panel. Until there's a patch for this, a workaround is to hide the layers panel temporarily whilst you paint.

Lee

I am definitely trying this as well.