You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bitmap fill style is distorted when applying to a shape with different aspect ratio

I'm trying to create a bitmap fill and save it as a style. But when I try to apply it to a different shape, the aspect ratio of the fill style isn't preserved. Instead, it takes on the aspect ratio of the new object. I've tried locking and unlocking the aspect ratio of the bitmap fill before I create the style, and neither one works.

I find that fixing the aspect ratio after the fact is more fiddly than just re-importing the bitmap every single time. So I'm fine with re-importing if that's the best option.

What am I missing? File attached, although I'm not sure it'll be useful. Thanks in advance!

image.thumb.png.bb5ddd03691add15a2633a358ffa4678.png

bmpfill.afdesign

I think this is how a bitmap fill are expected / coded to work 'by design'. It may require adjustment of its fill properties with a change of its parent object, regardless of its initial "Extend" setting and of a use as style.

Is there a reason / advantage that you don't use a Picture Frame as parent or a clipping rectangle as child instead of a bitmap fill?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Thanks for replying! I'm sorry, it's not clear from my example, but the texture is seamless and is meant to be scaled down and repeated within some random shape like a bit of text. Otherwise, yes, I'd just clip the bitmap using the shape.

I sort of suspected that this might be the current "by design." It's just that I can't think of a single instance where I'd actually want a seamless, repeating bitmap pattern to be distorted like this. So I was hoping there was a setting somewhere that I was missing.

Yes, that is why I mentioned a bitmap fill needs to get adjusted if the aspect ratio of its parent object gets changed. As you might have noticed, the interface for this image fill feature is rather limited, for instance you can't set the bitmap's size numerically but via dragging handles only. Thus it can be difficult to work precisely.

Nevertheless, it may be worth to discuss or ask Serif in a bug report whether the existing aspect ratio lock should be maintained when the tool gets switched and the parent object gets resized. Currently this lock appears to work only with the Fill Tool – but not as a permanent setting for the filling image.

bitmapfilllock.thumb.jpg.0bf58daca6c77d40e56110eb0c355fdc.jpg

A workaround could be to create an object with bitmap fill in a much larger size + then crop the wanted area with an additional layer (e.g. picture frame or clipping rectangle) for the desired use to avoid any auto-influence of the aspect ratio of the bitmap fill. For instance:

bitmapfillnested.thumb.jpg.63e483b0e9408e928ea344c5d566593f.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1