You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Creating a new cross-reference with the cursor in a cross-reference field modifies the existing reference

Intuos5

When I add a new cross-reference to my document and my cursor is already in a cross-reference field, the existing cross-reference is modified. This is on Windows 10.0.19045, bug happens in Publisher 2.2.0 and onwards.

Video

Workaround
The workaround is to add another character (e.g. a comma) to create spacing between the new and existing cross-reference, that way, both can be placed at a similar position in the text.

On macOS the Insert Cross-Reference icon is disabled and the Insert Cross-Reference menu item is replaced by Edit Cross-Reference when the cursor is immediately before or after an existing cross-reference. You can only edit a cross-reference when the cursor is touching a cross-reference, not insert a new one. It sounds like it's working a bit differently on Windows and the insert function is editing an existing one. The fix might be to make it disable the control like on macOS.

The workaround if you want two cross-references next to each other on macOS is to add a space, insert the second cross-reference, and then delete the space. 

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.5, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

• Staff

Hi @Intuos5,

I've not been able to replicate this so far on my test doc, on Windows after adding my initial cross reference, with the text caret in the same position when I go back to immediately insert a new reference i'm blocked from doing so as MikeTO described, the option is disabled and the right click context menu has been chagned to 'Edit Cross Reference'.

Could you possibly send over your document, as well as a copy of the 'cross_reference_presets.propcol' and 'cross_reference_text.propcol' files so I can use your crossref presets? These should both be found in the following path: %Appdata%/Affinity/common/2.0/user

I've included a private upload link here if you don't wish to share them publicly: https://www.dropbox.com/request/yLKl2Avr49oIrjHHAj26

Many thanks

• Staff

Hi @Intuos5,

Thanks for the sample doc as it's helped identify the issue, no need for any preset propcol files as this bug occurs regardless of what cross reference text is used. It looks like if you have a text frame that belongs to a master page, inserting a cross reference in that frame will then immediately allow for it to be replaced again as you've described.

However, if the text frame does not belong to a master and you insert a cross ref it behaves as expected, you are not allowed to immediately insert another one if the text caret is placed directly before/after the cross ref.

I'll check if we've had this logged previously and if not get it logged with the developers.

Many thanks