You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Automatic update of linked resources and Relink broken?

I think Automatic Update of Linked Resources and Relink for missing resources are both broken in beta 2096. Could somebody else on macOS confirm?

1. With Automatic Update on in Settings, Create a document in Publisher and place an image. Link it if it's embedded. (It doesn't matter if the image is stored on the internal drive or in another location.)
  2. Make 3 more copies of it on the same page. Save the document.
  3. Modify the image in another app. Publisher will not update the image or alert you that it's been changed outside the app.
  4. Close the document and re-open. Usually the original copy of the image will update and the other 3 copies won't and will show just the low resolution previews.
  5. Modify the document and resave. Open and it will be fine.
  6. Move the image to another location - it will be marked as Missing in Resource Manager.
  7. Relink the image - nothing happens after you confirm the new folder.

Hi @MikeTO,

Steps 1 to 3
I can confirm that Automatic Update isn't working in the Beta but the image is updated on closing and re-opening the document.

Step 4
On closing and re-opening the document all four images are shown at full resolution (i.e., I'm not seeing any low-resolution previews for the additional three images).

Step 5
Not relevant here since (for me) Step 4 is working as expected.

Steps 6 to 7
This is working correctly for me, i.e., after moving and relinking the image, Resource Manager correctly shows the image as Linked.

Affinity Designer 2.5.3 | Affinity Photo 2.5.3 | Affinity Publisher 2.5.3
Affinity Designer Beta 2.5.5 (2613) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.5 (2613) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.5 (2613)

MacBook Pro M3 Max, 36 GB Unified Memory, macOS Sonoma 14.6.1, Magic Mouse
HP ENVY x360, 8 GB RAM, AMD Ryzen 5 2500U, Windows 10 Home, Logitech Mouse

Here's a screen recording of the low res previews not updating Only the original image in the top-left corner updates.

This recording is from an iCloud folder but I tested this yesterday on a non-iCloud folder.

30 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

Here's a screen recording of the low res previews not updating Only the original image in the top-left corner updates.

Now I can replicate the behaviour, unsure why I couldn't before...

Affinity Designer Beta 2.5.5 (2613) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.5 (2613) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.5 (2613)

• Staff

I can reproduce the app not detected the image is modified, and marking it as such, so auto update modified linked images has no chance to work. I've passed along the bug.

The re-linking issue i'm struggling to reproduce in isolation, can you just confirm if you:

1. Move the image to another location - it will be marked as Missing in Resource Manager.
  2. Relink the image - nothing happens after you confirm the new folder.

Without the other steps, that the re link fails?

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

26 minutes ago, Jon P said:

The re-linking issue i'm struggling to reproduce in isolation, can you just confirm if you:

1. Move the image to another location - it will be marked as Missing in Resource Manager.

For me this part is all working correctly both when following the previous steps and in isolation...

3 hours ago, Jon P said:

I can reproduce the app not detected the image is modified, and marking it as such, so auto update modified linked images has no chance to work. I've passed along the bug.

I can see why you couldn't duplicate it, I couldn't figure it out from my own instructions at first. Here are better instructions and a recording but I assume fixing the root issue will fix this, too.

1. Create a document and place a PNG image on the page. Save.
  2. Move the image to a new folder. Ignore the popup in Publisher.
  3. Open the image in Apple Preview and annotate it with an ellipse or something. Save.
  4. Using the Resource Manager in Publisher, relink the missing image.
  5. After relinking it will still be marked as missing and it won't show the annotation you added.

Basically, Resource Manager isn't updating the file path to the newly selected folder to which the image has been moved...

• Staff

The issue "Images modified externally aren't detected as modified" (REF: AF-972) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.3.0.2106".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.