You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Latest flier A4 in Affinity Photo

pioneer

This is the latest flier I have designed for our local Bowls club

FLIER5.jpg

AMD Ryzen 7 5800 X. Nvidia GeForce RTX3060 64Gb Ram
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2.4 for Windows • Windows 11 (23H2 build 22631 3447) Home
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2.4 for iPad Pro 10.5  • iPad OS 17.3.1

I have some ‘issues’ at first glance:
1. I don’t understand what the background image is, or what it’s there for.
2. The stars at the top and bottom look a bit ‘squashed’.
3. It’s all a bit ‘text heavy’.
4. “Disco’s” shouldn’t have an apostrophe.
5. There’s a space between “club” and “.co.uk” in the URL.
6. The ‘email icon’ looks out of place as it’s totally different to the other icons.
7. Does “Established 1971” need to be that prominent and take up that much space?

Good morning Gary.   Thank you for taking the time to respond and for the feedback. 

The concept was to produce an old fashioned faded flier. It was designed to be Text based with as much information as possible. Diso's was a typo that got through sadly as well as the space in the URL I fully concur with you about the email logo. Est 1971 was asked for in the size shown as the club has not long celebrated its 50 year anniversary. As regards the stars its a matter of personal aesthetics. It has been through about half a dozen remakes and the board were happy (they did the final proofing) with this final result.  Thanks once again

Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2.4 for Windows • Windows 11 (23H2 build 22631 3447) Home

@antoSadly too late its already gone out 

I hope you don’t mind but, out of curiosity and a ‘sense of adventure’, I decided to try and make my own ‘retro flier’.

I started with the stipulations that:

• it had to contain pretty much all of the text that you used;
  • number of colours was to be limited to three plus black (not including background/paper colour);
  • it had to have some kind of vaguely-bowls-related visual theme.

After a few hours I came up with the attached design (deliberately a small-size image so it can’t be used for real).

I’m not entirely happy with it:

• the fonts could have been chosen better (I don’t have many ‘retro’ fonts installed);
  • I’ve not used the exact same text as you;
  • I don’t know if the ‘grunge’/’lost-ink’ effect is helpful to the design;

...but it was an interesting exercise.

It’s difficult to make a flier with so much text on it without it getting ‘overly busy’.

All done in Designer and Publisher (but I could probably have only used Publisher).

Indoor Bowls Flier - Retro 9.png

A bit late to mention it now, but I do find that the font used for “Whatever the weather…” is not only completely out of place (it just doesn’t go with the rest of the text) but it’s also quite difficult to read.

Also the “Free” section looks a bit odd, as it is off centre.

Finally, “No strangers here” could be interpreted as not wanting anyone to join that you don’t already know! It would probably look better if it directly followed “Make new friends”.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad