You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Inserting Notes Ignores Notes Format Settings When Using the Respective Menu or Keyboard Shortcut

Hangman

I'm unsure whether this is considered expected behaviour or a bug. If the former then this post can be moved accordingly to the appropriate forum though it feels as though this should work in the same way...

When creating Notes Format settings, i.e., Numbering, Format, Positioning and Rule settings in the Notes Panel these settings are only observed and applied when using the Insert Note icon in the Notes Panel despite being able to Insert a note using Text > Notes > Insert Footnote/Sidenote/Endnote.

The Insert Note icon in the Notes Panel is context-sensitive, i.e., it inserts the appropriate Note based on the Note selection (Foot, Side or End).

Is there any reason why the respective Menu/Keyboard Shortcut doesn't also respect the Notes formatting options as set in the respective Notes Panel?

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

• Staff

Hi @Hangman,

The Text > Notes > Insert options only work off the Document-Wide formatting options set in the Notes panel while throughout recording you're using the 'Custom' setting for locally formatted notes. For comparison, the below recording demonstrates the menu insert option working after configuring the document wide footnote settings and the inserted notes correctly inheriting these settings.

It could be argued that the Note insertion option from the text menu should be context sensitive to what's currently set in the panel, but at that point I think it would be feedback.

Hi @NathanC,

Thanks for clarifying, I'd not considered using the Text > Notes > Insert options only applied to Document Wide formatting but that makes perfect sense and is detailed in @MikeTO's manual on page 104...:)

1 hour ago, NathanC said:

It could be argued that the Note insertion option from the text menu should be context sensitive to what's currently set in the panel, but at that point I think it would be feedback.

Agreed, I guess maybe the option for an additional keyboard modifier to apply custom formatting would be an option though I'm guessing it's not really something that many users are going to be too concerned about since the icon in the Notes panel is the solution for Custom Notes...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse