You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Raw Support for Panasonic Lumix DC-S5 mk2

Welcome!

As far as a LibRaw version (and under macOS as an alternative the latest Apple RAW engine) does support it and then when an APh distribution does include that LibRaw version. - Other than that see also related ...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• Staff

Hi @DMK,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

Unfortunately this camera model is not currently listed in our V2 RAW list, which you can find below -

Support for these cameras is added through LibRAW, as v_kyr mentions above, and therefore we must wait for an update to LibRAW to include this camera, before we can add support in Affinity.

Therefore we hope to include support as soon as possible for this camera, though we're unable to provide any estimated timeframe at this time, our apologies.

I hope this clears things up!

From communicating with the LibRaw folks, the issue seems to be that LibRaw now reserves earlier updates to their highest-tier support subscribers, and Serif doesn't currently subscribe to that tier of support, so we'll have to wait for the yearly update. LibRaw has supported the S5Mk2 for months now.

Thank you for the info. I have subsequently found Adobe DNG batch converter which is a free download. Having converted the raw files I was able to process them in the Version 1 copy of Affinity Photo. Because I was still within 14 days of purchasing Version 2, Serif have arranged a refund. I can do everything that I need in Version 1.

Potentially having to wait twelve months for raw support doesn't seem a good arrangement.

4 hours ago, jlmorgan said:

From communicating with the LibRaw folks, the issue seems to be that LibRaw now reserves earlier updates to their highest-tier support subscribers, and Serif doesn't currently subscribe to that tier of support, so we'll have to wait for the yearly update.

Just curious but did they say anything about what that highest-tier support costs subscribers? I'm wondering about that because at https://www.libraw.org/about they say (emphasis added):

The LibRaw library is distributed free of charge and with open-source code subject to two licenses:

1. GNU LESSER GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE version 2.1

2. COMMON DEVELOPMENT AND DISTRIBUTION LICENSE (CDDL) Version 1.0

To use the LibRaw library in an application, you can choose the license that better suits your needs.

If you modify/add/improve the LibRaw source code, then your patches can only be included into the library’s official source code if you agree to it being distributed under both of the above licenses.

We do not guarantee that the licensing will not change in future versions of LibRaw.

Elsewhere, they mention 'extended support' plans, one of which includes "early access to Libraw repository" but nothing about what that costs.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.5.0 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 minutes ago, jlmorgan said:

I didn't ask what it costs, but from what I understand early access to the repository means new versions of the library (with new cameras) before the general support rolls out.

That much seems obvious from the "early access" verbiage but whether those added items have been fully tested or vetted is unclear, as is if the subscription cost is something Serif could afford to pay without having to pass that cost on to users.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.5.0 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I'm not suggesting that Serif should or shouldn't spring for the support tier. Just wanted to share the information that folks with the S5mk2 can most likely expect raw support to be added when the yearly LibRaw update occurs, which seems to be in Dec/Jan the past few years.