You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

start to feel laggy if used in a long run

hi there,

let me express my gratitude first for this beautiful software, i really like how affinity designer works and display things for user. however, in my work PC, which far from minimum spec requirements, if i use AD for a long time, it start to feel laggy, not so much but i feel like something burden the proccess. is that something related to windows clipping board win+V ? or how many image inserted or ... ?

regards,

khalifah

• Staff

Thanks for providing that for me!

I'd recommend ensuring that your GPU drivers are fully up-to-date, directly from Nvidias website, as outdated drivers can cause issues in Affinity.

I'd also recommend ensuring that the 'RAM Usage Limit' slider is set sensibly for your system - either at the value of RAM you have available (most systems have 8GB or 16GB nowadays, but some can have more) or slightly below this. For example if your system has 24GB of RAM then this setting is currently fine, however if your system has only 16GB of RAM, I'd reduce this to 16384 MB or below.

If you're still having issues after updating your GPU drivers and restarting your system, I'd recommend unticking Hardware Acceleration at the bottom of this dialog and then restarting the Affinity app as prompted.

Please do let me know how you get on here :)

3 hours ago, Dan C said:

For example if your system has 24GB of RAM then this setting is currently fine, however if your system has only 16GB of RAM, I'd reduce this to 16384 MB or below.

I have always been curious about how setting the RAM limit to more RAM than is installed could make any difference to the performance of either the app or the system. Surely, the OS would limit the app's RAM use enough that the system could never run out of RAM & of course the app itself could not possibly use more RAM than is installed, right?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff
20 hours ago, R C-R said:

I have always been curious about how setting the RAM limit to more RAM than is installed could make any difference to the performance of either the app or the system. Surely, the OS would limit the app's RAM use enough that the system could never run out of RAM & of course the app itself could not possibly use more RAM than is installed, right?

This has been covered previously by NotMyFault here, essentially the app will begin using virtual RAM if the physical RAM limit has been reached on the system, but the Affinity app's slider is increased beyond this point:

10 hours ago, khalifah iskandar said:

this pc have 32Gb ram installed. thanks for the explanation @Dan C , cheers!

No problem at all, thanks for confirming that for me! Hopefully the above changes should help with your issue, but we're happy to help if you have any further questions or issues :)