You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Acquire image not working in V2 but in V1

I have tried to scan using Acquire Image in Affinity Photo version 2.2.0 from my Epson XP 4200-series and it previews and scans, but not into the application itself. It just sits in the scanner window. 

I just tried it with Affinity Photo v.1.10.6 and it works perfectly.

I am on a 27"iMac, 3,4 GHz Intel Core i5 with Radeon Pro 570 4 GB and 40 GB 2400 MHz DDR4 running MacOS 13.5.2 (22G91)

As long as I can use v 1 it is not a problem, but thought you should know. 

• Staff

@Wilfred Hildonen I can't seem to replicate this on my system running macOS (13.4.1) and Affinity Photo V2 (2.2) using an Epson ET-2500. The Acquire Image dialog appears, does an overview scan/full scan and the image appears in the app ready for editing.

Perhaps try refreshing your printer drivers as the Acquire Image feature is provided to our app by macOS, even though it's working in 1.10.6 for you.

Yes, I checked for updates through Epson update and there was actually an update for the scanner driver - but it didn’t help. I even restarted the Mac, but nope. The only change was that now it does the same in v. 1 as well. I can use Preview or Image Capture, of course, but since I’m scanning A3 drawings, I need to do it in two parts and it would be easier if I could scan directly into Photo. 

I’m going to reinstall the OS to see whether that will help. It is about time, anyway, so it’s a good excuse to finally have it done…

5 hours ago, Wilfred Hildonen said:

it would be easier if I could scan directly into Photo

You can work around via the Services menu. The setup is easy: 

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

On 9/29/2023 at 4:20 PM, Wilfred Hildonen said:

I just tried it with Affinity Photo v.1.10.6 and it works perfectly.

I was a bit too optimistic here. It worked fine the first time I tried. The next time the scan got all mixed up and messy and after I updated the scanner driver it doesn’t scan into Photo v 1, either. 
I reinstalled the OS which took me the rest of the day - and right now neither one of the Affinity v. 2 apps launch. The icons jump up and down in the dock for a while, but that’s all. Well, it’ll have to wait until tomorrow. 

6 hours ago, loukash said:

You can work around via the Services menu. The setup is easy: 

That was the solution - although it’s even simpler and although I’ve had Macs since 1998, I wasn’t aware of that feature in Image Capture. No need to create a workflow - I just selected Scan to: and chose Affinity Photo 2 - et voilá! 
Thanks a lot - and as for the apps not launching, I guess it was just because of indexing and stuff after reinstalling the OS…

But I still think Serif should have a look at this, because it seems like there are a few people having problems with Acquire Image…