You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Slow slow generation of live docs thumbnails and option bar since iOS 17 or 2.2.0

Hi Serif staff

Since the update to 2.2.0 or iOS 17.0 (and my intuition tells me it's 17.0 that's playing a part), I've noticed that when I in Designer go back from a drawing to Live Docs, it takes a very long time before they are displayed. We are talking just two thumbnails. Meaning, the list of docs is empty and then they suddenly appear. I've also noticed that the "option bar" that each doc has with Save, Save As, etc. comes with further delay - the thumbnail graphics come first, "option bar" comes 1-2 seconds later.

I have an iPad Pro 2022 M2 with lots and lots of space and I have restarted it several times, same result. Only running one app when it happens, Designer.

Never saw this delay before, ever.

Experienced Quality Assurance Manager - I strive for excellence in complex professional illustrations through efficient workflows in modern applications, supporting me in achieving my and my colleagues' goals through the most achievable usability and contemporary, easy-to-use user interfaces.

It doesn't happen immediately, but after I've worked for a short while. I save in a folder in iCloud. The symptoms vary. Sometimes there's no thumbnail for 5 seconds or more, or there is a thumbnail, but the option bar on the thumbnail only appears after 5 seconds.

Experienced Quality Assurance Manager - I strive for excellence in complex professional illustrations through efficient workflows in modern applications, supporting me in achieving my and my colleagues' goals through the most achievable usability and contemporary, easy-to-use user interfaces.

• Staff

Hi @Bitarts,

Thanks for your report and my apologies for the delayed response here!

I can confirm that a colleague of mine has been able to replicate this issue using an iPad Air 5th gen, running iPadOS 17 - whereas I was not able to replicate this on an iPad Pro 10.5 running iPadOS 16.5, so I agree this appears to be related to the OS update, rather than the iPad being an 'M' based device.

I'm getting this logged with our development team now to be resolved ASAP.

I hope this helps :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again @Dan C

I can't find a fix for this listed in the release candidate 1 of 2.2.1 post which worries me quite a bit.

Without a save (and thus also without a sync to iCloud and other computers) button/feature I use these Live Docs tiles even more than usually and waiting for them to appear is a royal pain! 

• Staff

I can confirm this issue is still logged with our development team and has not yet been marked as fixed, my apologies.

I'll be sure to 'bump' this with the team now to bring it to their attention once again - from our testing it appears as though the documents size is a contributing factor. Smaller/lower resolution documents do not appear to trigger this issue, though larger/higher resolution documents can cause this to occur each time when returning to 'Live Docs'.

Our apologies for any inconveniences cause due to this in the meantime.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

On 10/12/2023 at 11:57 AM, Dan C said:

I'll be sure to 'bump' this with the team now to bring it to their attention once again - from our testing it appears as though the documents size is a contributing factor. Smaller/lower resolution documents do not appear to trigger this issue, though larger/higher resolution documents can cause this to occur each time when returning to 'Live Docs'.

Bump away, mister C!

I would phrase it like this 🙂

It doesn't happen with small, banal documents, but with documents of normal production complexity.

So it hurts where it matters. Each time.

• 5 months later...

This is still an issue, which I also notice with quite uncomplicated documents, and it is doubly obstructive since one simply has to exit the editing of a drawing to save it, especially if one is not fortunate enough to have a keyboard connected. Therefore, one sees it more often than one should.

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

The issue "[iPad] Thumbnail generation is delayed when using iPadOS 17, also affects menu for Live Doc" (REF: AF-466) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.5.0.2415".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Affinity Info Bot to notify us.