You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Feature Request: Better zoom control for preview in export dialog

Hello Support-Team,

Problem:
Right now it is super hard to get a real 100% preview in the export dialog of Affinity Photo. All the user can do is to use the alt/option key and scroll wheel. This is very coarse and often doesn't result in 100% zoom level – which sometimes would be really important when exporting media optimized for web and therefore having to judge the side effects of image compression.

Solution:
Please enable the standard keyboard shortcuts for 100% (CMD/CTRL-0), Zoom To Fit (CMD/CTRL-1), and Zoom in (CMD/CTRL-+) and Zoom out (CMD/CTRL--).

Thanks in advance and best Regards,
Werner

Oh yeah, this is great news for me and I wasn't aware of that. But it is also a bit tricky to find out, so here's the solution for anyone else having this issue:

• Open the Export dialog
  • Make your adjustments for size, format and compression
  • Now this is the tricky part: you might have to get the keyboard focus away from the input fields. Sometimes just hitting TAB works but normally this only skips to the following input fields. What works for me is collapsing and re-expanding the "File Settings" section or scrolling down past all the controls and click in the empty area below "Embed metadata".
  • THEN you can indeed use CMD-1, CMD-2 (not on the numpad) and so on to control the size of the preview.

In case I missed an easier solution please let me know. Otherwise, the Dev-Team could make this a bit easier to achive on macOS.

But nevertheless, thank you for your help! 8-)

• 1 month later...
On 9/22/2023 at 12:25 PM, Arroyodorado said:
  • Now this is the tricky part: you might have to get the keyboard focus away from the input fields. Sometimes just hitting TAB works but normally this only skips to the following input fields. What works for me is collapsing and re-expanding the "File Settings" section or scrolling down past all the controls and click in the empty area below "Embed metadata".
  • THEN you can indeed use CMD-1, CMD-2 (not on the numpad) and so on to control the size of the preview.

I was about to post a new topic on this after spending an hour trying to get 100% preview to work consistently. Since I'm going to need it regularly, I need a reliable way to make it work.

I see there are many threads on the topic with workarounds involving tabbing, but this is not consistent and repeatable. Sometimes tabbing results in an endless loop of focus through the file settings fields, sometimes it doesn't.

But thanks for this workaround, at least it works!

Is this logged as a bug by the Affinity team? Getting 100% export preview reliably and intuitively (or without spending an hour in the forums) would be very useful.

[ macos 12.6 Monterey; Memory: 16GB;  Graphics: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB; Processor: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 ]