You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AD2.1.1 "Select object when intersects with selection marquee" option doesn't work if there is an adjustment

purplie

Summary: If you drag the selection marquee halfway over the object in the attached file, the "Select object when intersects with selection marquee" option isn't working for an object to which an adjustment has been applied.

Application:  Affinity Designer 2.1.1

Reproducible: Yes.

Steps to reproduce:  

1. Go to Settings > Tools, and enable the "Select object when intersects with selection marquee" option.

2. Open the attached file.  It contains two red ovals; the second oval has an "Invert" adjustment which makes it blue.

image.thumb.png.10deae23f5081260c9885c74128bd8b2.png

2. Using the Select tool, drag the selection marquee halfway over the two ovals.  Only the first oval gets selected.

image.thumb.png.c6d46eed07b6eff11aeb6c7c5742fa25.png

bug-9.afdesign

Hi @purplie,

Try changing the 'Auto-select' option to Objects...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2437)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

1 hour ago, purplie said:

Interesting, thanks.  I wasn't aware of that option.  But, per the manual, the "default" Auto-select option is supposed to select anything (both groups and objects), so I'd still say it's a bug.

I believe the logic of the Default Auto-select option is to select objects and groups at the root level rather than objects inside groups. When this update was originally announced this was the statement made...

Now this drop down has been added the previous context toolbar option of "Allow selection to consider items inside of groups" has been removed. This is because that gave the same behaviour as what "Auto Select: Objects" now does from the new drop down.

Changing the layer structure slightly from that on the left to that on the right will permit a partial marquee selection of both root-level groups when using the Default Auto-select option but it doesn't select the objects inside the groups.

MarqueeSelectionv3.png.06e4cb9267c045e122ee3083665ab993.png

As shown here...

Changing the Auto-select drop-down to Objects selects the objects inside the groups rather than the root-level groups.

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2437)

Let me rephrase it a little; I apologize that in my original post, I was unclear on the distinction between groups and objects.  

Set the Auto-select option to either "default" or "groups".  Enable the "Select object when intersects with selection marquee" preference.

If you pull the marquee completely around the two groups, then both groups get selected.

But if you pull the marquee partially across the two groups, only one group gets selected, which is incorrect.

(Re the Auto-select discussion, note that both objects are in the same situation, being inside groups. Therefore the two should behave the same, regardless of the Auto-select setting --- either both groups should get selected, or both ovals get selected, or nothing gets selected.  It shouldn't be possible for one to get selected and not the other, if the selection marquee intersects both.)

Nothing to apologize for and I agree, this does look like a bug, I think it may actually already have been logged as a bug a while ago... The 'issue' appears to be when you have nested adjustments.

• When an adjustment is nested to a group as per your file then this seems to prevent the group with the nested adjustment from being partially marquee selected.

• When an adjustment is nested to an object this seems to prevent the object with the nested adjustment from being partially marquee selected even when 'objects' is the Auto-select option.

• When the adjustment appears above the object within the group then 'Auto-select Default' correctly selects the groups and 'Auto-select Objects' correctly selects the objects within the groups when using a partial marquee selection.

Left - Adjustment Nested to the Group | Middle - Adjustment Nested to the Object | Right - Adjustment Above the Object Inside the Group

NestedAdjustments.thumb.png.b7570ce40be28f3b43d5b48fb548989d.png

Screen Recording