You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Inconsistent/Unpredictable Stroke Miter Corner Results, AD 2.2.0

There are appears to be a bug with the miter join setting. The results change unpredictably when moving nodes, and the results change even when simply zooming in and out without changing a thing. Video and file attached.

I'd like to be able to draw my outlines with the vector pencil tool using miter join to get clean lines with sharp corners, but my results differ greatly from what I saw in online tutorials doing the same thing. The corner often flies way off the curve, and the miter setting value doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Let me know if this is user error.

I have also confirmed this happens on a fresh, new file. Select pencil tool, draw a tight zig-zag/squiggle shape, turn up miter join until corners appear. Corners don't match the arc of the curve, and change at various zoom levels. I will add that file as well.

I've noticed this happens on sharper corners that have a curve coming into them, and it can be replicated using the pen tool. It just happens constantly with the pencil tool because it creates a lot of fluid curves. Even when I tweak and simplify the curves, the corner changes at different zoom levels.

Affinity Designer 2.2.0
MacBook Pro 2019 15"
MacOS 13.3.1, 2.3GHz 8-Core Intel i9
Radeon Pro Vega 20 4GB
32GB 2400MHz DDR4

Screen Recording 2023-09-21 at 1.23.02 PM.mov
Screen Recording 2023-09-21 at 1.47.25 PM.mov

2023-09-21 Characters.afdesign New squiggle.afdesign