You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

OCIO v2 Bug

Thank you for the new OCIO v2 support in the latest Affinity 2.2 release. I just gave it a quick test run, and unfortunately, I have to report that the ACES sRGB transform seems to be broken when using the built-in OCIO v2 ACES sRGB functions. You can try using this config which is OCIO v2 and works fine in Nuke/Fusion/Davinci Resolve and many other popular renderers. The Log, and Raw spaces are fine. But the ACES sRGB ODT looks identical to the un-tone mapped output. Which isn't correct.

As a side note, it would be really nice if we had an option when using the file "export" into an LDR image format to apply or reverse a linear gamma to sRGB gamma. As exporting, say, a PNG or JPEG using OCIO adjustment layers will still output the linear gamma instead of returning it to sRGB Gamma. This washes out the output and makes the process a lot less user-friendly for artists. Whenever you change from 32-bit to 16/8bit in a Photoshop document or output to LDR you have an option to do this, as does the exporting of LDR image formats from an HDR image. This would make working with OCIO much better when users are ready for final export to an LDR image format after doing their color correction or compositing work in 32-bit.

Example images and OCIO v1 + LUT folder config (working) and OCIO v2 config (not working fully), along with the LDR image export from HDR image format Gamma issue I mentioned above. Thanks!

export_to_LDR_gamma_issue.jpg

OCIO_v1_Config_Correct.jpg

OCIO_v2_Config_Wrong.jpg

cong_ocio_v2.ocio OCIO_v1_Config_and_LUT_Folder.zip

• Staff

Hey theartofsaul,

I have reproduced this and will get it logged with the developers. I will also pass on the other feedback as you have a really valid point!

Going forward, could I kindly ask you to try and avoid posting the same issue in different places as it prevents staff from looking into the same issue.

Thanks again for the bug report :) 

Hey Chris, sorry about the double post. The first post I made was in the archived v1 forum section. This made me think maybe it would get lost in the v2 release noise. So I made this post to make sure it was visible. Thank you for passing this along and confirming the issue! Also really appreciate you hearing the feedback regarding LDR image exports. Thanks again and have great day!

• 5 months later...