You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Affinity V1] Using any of the apps, is there a way to automatically make grids align with all margins?

No matter how much I drag the axis editing handles, I can't make my grid fit within all four margins. The top and bottom have one measurement (0.315 inch), and the left and right have another (0.707 inch).

I can't math, so is there an easy way to figure out or tell Affinity how to make these grids a size that will automatically perfectly fit within these margins?

Here is a screenshot of part of my file.

Screenshot 2023-09-15 204344.png

With an appropriate snapping setting you can move the grids axis handle to make the grid snap to two edges of your margin.

gridsnapsmargin1.thumb.jpg.496a3a2b81cfee46ba61054846c2246f.jpg

To get a grid that matches on all four margin edges, you must specify a grid size or set the margins appropriately, so that the width/height between your margins is an integer multiple of the grid spacing. Depending on the page size, this may require a non-square grid. For instance:

gridsnapsmargin2.thumb.jpg.bbcea0c08c0b621e105b7b4b1b69f8dd.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

13 hours ago, mmchocolate said:

I can't math, so is there an easy way to figure out or tell Affinity how to make these grids a size that will automatically perfectly fit within these margins?

Try using Column Guides. Choose Outline and a 0 (zero) gutter. Go to View > Guides... and make sure the View > Show Column Guides is ticked.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

14 hours ago, mmchocolate said:

I can't math, so is there an easy way to figure out

The math would be for instance:

The width between left and right margin / divided by the number of wanted grid cells (e.g. 20 in your example) = grid spacing for the first axis.
Repeat for the height and second axis.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1