You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

iPad and Desktop Photo - does not work with images from iPhone

Burndog

This problem happens with any images captured on an iPhone (V13 Pro). The images open and can't stay at their original exposure (for lack of a better term).

You can see in the video how the image goes "light" and will go back to the proper darkness without any repeatable click.

I can understand a glitch on one program but this happens on Desktop as well as iPad Pro, both V2 Affinity Photo. And it's not just one photo, it's all I have worked with. Note: this does not happen in Photoshop.  Anyone else getting this problem???

• Staff

Hi @Burndog,

It's unusual that you mention this also happens on iPad Photo as well as desktop, does it consistently flicker between light/dark on both devices throughout the whole app session on both devices? Could you also provide the image saved as an .afphoto file shown in your recording, along with the original image from your iPhone prior to opening it in Photo? If you don't wish to share them publicly I've provided an upload link below.

https://www.dropbox.com/request/iUyRQGUR9TT0M2Y5RjBG

Many thanks!

I uploaded the file to your DropBox.

I think the issue is that iPhone files are HEIC format and the Affinity products don't yet handle that format?

I've uploaded another one to the Dropbox location (DoHoPalms.afphoto). Additional tests were to open the afphoto document in afDesigner version 2 (desktop) which did not demonstrate the same problem.
Next I saved from afDesigner as a .afdesign doc and then opened that file in afPhoto. Result: problem still present (Video attached).
One more quirk is that I can not screen video the problem because while the haze shows on the monitor it does not show in the captured video. That is why I use my external video for the demo to illustrate the problem.

Probably not the .heic file format as I don't have any problem with that format on any of my computers, Windows 11, Macbook and iPad Pro.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

• 1 month later...

I have exactly the same problem with opening my iPhone XS Max photos in Affinity Photo 1.10.6! It started few weeks ago. Image gets overexposed and then blinks back to normal and again over exposed!

Switching Apple Metal acceleration off doesn't help. Something badly screwed up with video. Happens both on my M2 Max laptop and on the external screen. Photos open without any problems in Preview!

Help needed!

Hannu 

• Staff

Hi @Burndog & @H108,

Apologies for the late reply, there is an issue currently logged with the developers with the workspace/canvas area flickering on M2 devices when the 'Apple Wide Colour Sharing Profile' is in use as the colour profile, which is why I can't replicate this on any M1/Intel based devices.

To resolve this, try disabling 'hardware acceleration' checkbox and setting the display to 'OpenGL' under the app Preferences > Performance, close the interface and restart the app when prompted to and then see if it continues on the same issue. Alternatively, try changing the image ICC profile under Document > Convert / Format ICC Profile to a different RGB profile, such as sRGB 2.1 just to confirm that it stops happening.

9 hours ago, NathanC said:

Hi @Burndog & @H108,

Apologies for the late reply, there is an issue currently logged with the developers with the workspace/canvas area flickering on M2 devices when the 'Apple Wide Colour Sharing Profile' is in use as the colour profile, which is why I can't replicate this on any M1/Intel based devices.

To resolve this, try disabling 'hardware acceleration' checkbox and setting the display to 'OpenGL' under the app Preferences > Performance, close the interface and restart the app when prompted to and then see if it continues on the same issue. Alternatively, try changing the image ICC profile under Document > Convert / Format ICC Profile to a different RGB profile, such as sRGB 2.1 just to confirm that it stops happening.

Converting to sRGB solves the problem! Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

The issue "M2 Mac flashing workspace - when using Apple Wide Colour Gamut" (REF: AF-473) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.3.0.2150".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.