You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Photo V2] Paintbrush opacity weirdness: why is 100% not 100%?

OK, so I create a new pixel layer and set its transfer mode to Normal.

I go to paint on it; I create a plain round brush with opacity, flow, all that good stuff set to 100%. No fancy pressure settings no nothing, just a plain round brush.

So I paint a big stroke. I paint another stroke over it. It looks as if it's painting at, like, 90% opacity, because when I paint another stroke over it, it behaves as if the brush opacity is set to <100%, but it paints over the previously painted area at 100% of the chosen color.

What's up with Photo2 on the iPad? It's just... like, just full of this kind of stupid weirdness popping up all the time (like that thing it STILL does where it just stops accepting brush input). I picked a plain round brush with 100% everything, on a layer that's set to 100% Normal transfer mode, but the brush paints as if it were 90% opacity, and takes 2 "coats" to get it right. Cripes, more of this, please.

Probably you have Wet Edges set on. You can set it manually (see below), or some brushes set it On or Off as part of their brush properties. But it's a 3-state function in the brush properties, and some brushes leave it however it was last set before you switched to that brush. In brush properties, those are On, Off, and Don't Set, I think.

image.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

You were reading my mind. After making sure everything in the new brush was defaulted normally, first thing I did was double-check to see if Wet Edges wasn't accidentally set "On" somehow. I've screwed myself up before that way (normally, they default to "don't set" — at least in my case — and opacity/transparency behave normally; i.e. 100% setting paints "solid").  ...No change. For some odd reason, creating a new document, with a new pixel layer, and picking a plain round brush from the menu seemed to clear up the problem somehow, as if maybe it just kind of "reset" everything.

Still kinda curious...

9 hours ago, Mike Swartzbeck said:

normally, they default to "don't set" — at least in my case — and opacity/transparency behave normally; i.e. 100% setting paints "solid"

That's the setting that means "don't change it". So, if you happen to use a brush that turns Wet Edges on, or accidentally set it yourself, then when you switch to one of those brushes it will remain on, and you won't get "solid" paintingl

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1