You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Layering issue using Symbols for repeat patterns

image.thumb.png.efe61cb85e6b0f7c844a549efba30fdc.pnglayeringissue2.thumb.PNG.6d414416dc794c936430f81d0585e4d2.PNGI am a new Affinity Designer user, attempting to create seamless repeat patterns with the following technique: 

https://affinityspotlight.com/article/how-to-achieve-perfect-repeat-patterns-every-time-in-affinity-designer/

I keep running into the pictured layering issue. In this example, the purple lines denote the nine symbols. The guide symbol is in the center. In the first image, the white ellipse I've pointed to should be on top of the blue rectangle. This can be solved by shifting the blue rectangles down, as seen in the second image, but this voids the ability to see what the repeating pattern will look like. It's not a big problem with a simple design like this, but it is problematic with more complex designs. I'm wondering if there is a way to avoid this issue, or at least a better fix.

Hello and welcome to the forums. @hi_designers

You have to think a little around the corner with seamless patterns. It's sometimes a little bit tricky!

image.png.8c44c30f7fde8d260f93daddcb2c22e7.png

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

@hi_designers Hi.  You don’t explain what the blue and red blocks of color are, but based on the layer structure in the first screenshot it seems they might be your fill (or background).

If that’s so, the layer structure is the problem.  You need to ensure that ALL Motif Symbols are above ALL Fill (Background) Symbols.  How you do that depends on your ambitions for your Fill.  The following suggestion assume your are using a square as your base geometric structure.

1. If a solid Fill satisfies, you can create a single layer below the Motif Symbols that is the same size as your Motif Symbols combined.  So, if one Motif Symbol measures 100px X 100px, your Fill should measure 300px X 300px.  The Motif Symbols must be positioned so they cover/overlap the Fill exactly.
  2. If you want a more elaborate Fill, you could create a set of 9 Fill Symbols, each exactly the same size as a Motif Symbol - so, using my example immediately above, your Fill Symbol must be 100px X 100px.  Motif and Fill Symbols must be matching pairs (same size, same position, different name), and they must be positioned so that the group of Motif Symbols exactly cover/overlap the group of Fill Symbols.  That will give you a Fill for each Motif Symbol, and you’ll have to make sure the Fill Symbols also tile correctly, so start with solid colors before you attempt gradients.

You might find this thread interesting:

Download the files from the first entry in that thread; they will get you to my first suggestion above.

As a general note, you want your decorative elements (Motifs) to cross the boundaries between Motif Symbols to avoid leaving obvious tracks, but you can’t do that with Fills because layer structures generally don’t cooperate with that practice.

I’m interested in how you progress.

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to use rectangular tiles, combined with objects like circles which should show up at edges, you need to copy those objects and put them into the correct position. Use a rectangular shape as bases for clipping.

i made a template long ago making this easy, let me search the archive

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.