You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

.afpub V1 – odd file size caused by "Mask" layer: 1.36 GB

I have an .afpub (A4, 300 dpi) with an embedded JPG (104 kB) + a nested Mask layer. While changing the bounding box of the mask + reapplying its gradient a few times the app started not to update the screen but to show the beachball for minutes, as if it has a list of tasks to do in its waiting list (= my various gradient setings without seeing it updated?). In this recent thread is a screencast example of the workflow.

Finally a Save action of this .afpub showed a slow process bar for ~15 seconds and resulted in ~1.4 GB on disk (w/o history). I copied the two layers into a new .apfub. (the initial .afpub has about 500 pages / 110 MB)

I am interested to know what exactly caused the issues of redraw delay + file size increase, and if changing a Mask layer's bounding box should generally be avoided (disabled in the UI?) and/or is expected or at least known to possibly end up this way.

Since the file is too large for a forum's upload I'll upload if you send an upload link.

oddfilesize-1_35GB.thumb.jpg.93ddd92d9a2c00b6d693d99db7d22db3.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Two possible hints: Shortly after experiencing the redraw delay + file size increase I noticed a sudden reduction of available disk space of ~40 GB (!). It appeared to be caused by a TimeMachine snapshot of that time with 39 GB (usually they are around Ø 200 MB per hour) – although I had excluded the Affinity pref folders "autosave" and "temp" from the TimeMachine backup (some weeks ago, in the hope, it would reduce the number of crashes on Save or Open and corrupted documents, which appears to work by the way).

This let me search further and I noticed that reopening this 1.35 GB .afpub causes 10 separate .temp files, each with 134 MB. – Quite strange for an .afpub that contains two editable objects only (no saved history or assets).

I didn't expect to get this fixed in V1 and was convinced the developers could easily remove the (temp) data trash from the file.

But I rather want to know what is technically happening, for instance why does a bounding box change of a Mask layer cause such redraw / delay issues at all, although the Mask is 1 layer only with 1 gray gradient only? Or where do the 10 temp files á 134 MB belong to / result from?

Since memory handling and processor demand in Affinity can be surprising I just want to understand the various processes to possibly adjust my workflow accordingly. So, I'd appreciate some technical info about what's going on in this situation. Thank you!