You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AP v2 painting better on Mac Mini M2

I'm looking at getting a Mac Mini M2, partly so I can upgrade to AP & AD. Will painting with my wacom Intuous 4 be smoother and better? My brushes are a bit clunky with v1. Couldn't find info about this on the affinity serif site.

What hardware do you actually have in use? - Basically the behavior of a Wacom Intuous 4 should only be Wacom driver and Affinity implementation related, so no matter if used on a Win PC, older or newer Mac.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

I'm upgrading to a Mini so I can get Affinity v2. I'm a long time Affinity user. Will upgrading to Affinity Photo V2 will make digital painting better?

Wacom Intuos Pro has a Ventura driver for Mac Mini M3 OS Ventura and they have a video on how to set up

Affinity implementation related

What does this mean?

53 minutes ago, kat said:

I'm upgrading to a Mini so I can get Affinity v2. I'm a long time Affinity user.

That doesn't answer my previous question about the hardware you are using now and yet at this moment (...CPU, RAM, OS etc.), you are instead just repeating what you've said/asked before! - And that doesn't give any insights why you actually have/see "clunky brushes" behavior with a Wacom Intuous 4!

53 minutes ago, kat said:

What does this mean?

That means, that any connected hardware like a graphics tablet (or some printer) comes with some accompanied OS supporting drivers and if those drivers aren't good optimized or have slightly bugs, then the tablet might not work as fluid as expected here. Also the software one uses the tablet for plays a role here, it has to support the usage of certain graphics tablets.

So if a Wacom Intuous 4 behaves smoother and better here on a Mac Mini M2 (assuming here a Mac Mini which comes along with enough RAM) does also highly depend on Wacom's software driver implementation and also if the actual Affinity macOS versions do support graphics tablets flawlessly (without bugs) under macOS Ventura here too.

Further some people here in the forum which use such or a similar combination, aka a Mac Mini M1/M2 under macOS Ventura with a Wacom Intuos tablet, might can tell you then from first hand, if they can overall draw better with Affinity v2 apps with that hardware combo or not.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

29 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

hardware you are using now (...CPU, RAM, OS etc.

Model Name: iMac (late 2013)

Model Identifier: iMac14,2

Processor Name: Intel Core i5

Processor Speed: 3.4 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 32 GB

Corel Painter does a better job on brush work than AP. Still I prefer AP & AD. I use Hej stylus v3 when smoothes strokes more than AP stylus

1 minute ago, kat said:

Model Name: iMac (late 2013)

Model Identifier: iMac14,2

Processor Name: Intel Core i5

Processor Speed: 3.4 GHz

Memory: 32 GB

Corel Painter does a better job on brush work than AP. Still I prefer AP & AD. I use Hej stylus v3 when smoothes strokes more than AP stylus

That iMac performance spec wise should still work Ok with Affinity apps under macOS Catalina (10.15) and should support Affinity v2 apps too. - Can't tell if "Hej stylus v3" may have any impact here on the drawing behavior with the Affinity apps, as I've never used that.

1 hour ago, v_kyr said:

Affinity apps under macOS Catalina (10.15)

I want to stay on  Mojave 10.14.6. If I upgrade I lose all my Adobe CS6 apps. So looking forward to a Mac Mini which I hope will improve my digital painting.

41 minutes ago, kat said:

So looking forward to a Mac Mini which I hope will improve my digital painting.

Performance wise it will be for sure faster, though in your case I would still wait until end of next month, as there are some rumours that in September maybe a new Mac Mini M3 based one might be announced. It would be annoying to buy now a M2 one when the M3 based one is just around the corner one month later.

8 hours ago, kat said:

I want to stay on  Mojave 10.14.6. If I upgrade I lose all my Adobe CS6 apps. So looking forward to a Mac Mini which I hope will improve my digital painting.

You will not be able to install Mojave on a new Mac. In my experience, a Mac is never compatible with OS older than the OS supplied with the Mac.

7 hours ago, lepr said:

You will not be able to install Mojave on a new Mac. In my experience, a Mac is never compatible with OS older than the OS supplied with the Mac.

Mojave I'm keeping on my iMac 2013. Ventura will be on the new Mini.

8 minutes ago, kat said:

Mojave I'm keeping on my iMac 2013. Ventura will be on the new Mini.

Obviously you did already know all that, as you've indicated that indirectly here at the beginning of this thread...

18 hours ago, kat said:

I'm upgrading to a Mini so I can get Affinity v2. I'm a long time Affinity user. Will upgrading to Affinity Photo V2 will make digital painting better?

Wacom Intuos Pro has a Ventura driver for Mac Mini M3 OS Ventura and they have a video on how to set up

... stunningly you even did know to wait for the possible upcomming new announcement of a Mac Mini M3 ! 😉

1 hour ago, v_kyr said:

Obviously you did already know all that, as you've indicated that indirectly here at the beginning of this thread...

I still can't detect that indication after being told it is there. Anyway, it has now been explicitly stated.

45 minutes ago, lepr said:

I still can't detect that indication after being told it is there.

See my last post referencing in bold what Kat wrote before, that the "Wacom Intuos Pro has a Ventura driver for Mac Mini M3 2 OS Ventura". - Further she knows that macOS Mojave is that old that it doesn't support & run under Mac silicon hardware at all. Same as she knows that Affinity v2 apps don't run under Mojave either.

2 hours ago, v_kyr said:

See my last post referencing in bold what Kat wrote before, that the "Wacom Intuos Pro has a Ventura driver for Mac Mini M3 2 OS Ventura". - Further she knows that macOS Mojave is that old that it doesn't support & run under Mac silicon hardware at all. Same as she knows that Affinity v2 apps don't run under Mojave either.

Clairvoyance never was my strength.

8 minutes ago, lepr said:

Clairvoyance never was my strength.

In this case it's more counting 1+1 together than anything else.