You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Nee help removing a white background from an item that has white on edges

Hello,

Can someone please help me to remove the background from the attached image? I tried using remove white paper, but of course it made parts of the item transparent, too. I just want to get it as accurate as possible so it looks good when placed in another image. Thank you so much for any help and suggestions.

Chris

floatron.jpg

• Staff

Hi @chriscaldwell,

For a quick job the flood selection tool does a pretty decent job, I set tolerance set to ~5% with contiguous and anti-alias enabled along the context toolbar and then selected the white background, inverted the selection and then masked achieved the attached result. If you want to get even more accurate you could then go over the mask with a brush to refine certain areas.

https://affinity.help/photo2/English.lproj/pages/Selections/selections_flood.html

white background removed!.afphoto

I would use the Pen Tool to draw a path around the object, create a selection, invert the selection and delete the background. Pretty easy to do once you understand how to draw and manipulate paths.

Affinity Photo and Design V1. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. Dell Precision 7710 laptop. Intel Core i7. RAM 32GB. NVIDIA Quadro M4000M.

13 hours ago, NathanC said:

Hi @chriscaldwell,

For a quick job the flood selection tool does a pretty decent job, I set tolerance set to ~5% with contiguous and anti-alias enabled along the context toolbar and then selected the white background, inverted the selection and then masked achieved the attached result. If you want to get even more accurate you could then go over the mask with a brush to refine certain areas.

https://affinity.help/photo2/English.lproj/pages/Selections/selections_flood.html

white background removed!.afphoto

This is fanastic! And so much appreciated. Thank you for the explanation and for doing this!

11 hours ago, henryanthony said:

I would use the Pen Tool to draw a path around the object, create a selection, invert the selection and delete the background. Pretty easy to do once you understand how to draw and manipulate paths.

Thank you so much henryanthony, this is a great solution, too.