You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

title bar color

This seems like such an obvious desire, I feel I must simply be missing something.  The issue is the lack of distinctive coloring of the window title bar, and the resulting extra work required to identify the top of a window - for example, to drag it somewhere, or to bring it to the front.  Consider the following screenshot from Windows 10.  How many windows are visible?

image.thumb.jpeg.bf3c95bd94152283245579dcd221bf7b.jpegThere are 3 - A thunderbird email window is in the background, with an Affinity photo 2 window in front, and a settings window for affinity photo in front of that.  It takes considerably more work than I'd like to find the title bars of the Affinity photo windows.  The Affinity dark interface helps in some ways and makes things worse in others (the settings window title bar more or less disappears).

image.thumb.jpeg.edeacf7f061eeada6430f6e05c318099.jpeg

Compare a mock up of title bars with my chosen Windows 10 accent colors (I've left all of the colors as the background accent colors).  Surely, there must be a way to request this, but what is it????

image.thumb.jpeg.a710cbac9cef90d98b48e21691cd1b8a.jpeg

• Staff

Hi @nick l,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

29 minutes ago, nick l said:

Surely, there must be a way to request this, but what is it????

I will move this thread to the Feedback section of our forums for you now, for our development team to see and consider adding this UI option in the future.

I hope this helps!

The perception of color can be impacted by other colors surrounding the workpiece being evaluated.  As a result, any application which deals with projects in which color accuracy plays a vital role should ideally be presented in neutral grays, to avoid influencing the perception of the colors in the document or project.

A title bar takes up enough screen space to potentially influence these perceptions, so the choice to use neutral grays is correct here.

If an option is provided to make the mistake of coloring it, please make sure it is just that - an option, and not the default.

This color neutrality is one of the few areas where the deviation of the Affinity products from platform standards is justifiable as being correct.

Thank you for pointing out an issue I hadn't thought of.  I rarely do this kind of work with colors.  I'm not a professional in any related field.  When I *am* paying attention to colors, I'm most often caring about the color of printouts that I make myself in very low volume settings, rather than with colors as they appear on the screen.  I'm willing to look at how the print came out.  (I have various struggles with color related to the printouts, and am being overwhelmed with trying to deal with ICC profiles - but that's another topic...)