You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher 2. There is no possibility of manually arranging bookmarks

The functionality of manually arranging bookmarks is very limited and could be improved. 

It is only possible to drag a bookmark over another to create nested bookmarks and the oposite, but you can not change the order of bookmarks, by selecting them and move to a desired location.

Also the anchors panel should display bookmarks in the order the will be generated in pdf.

What Bookmarks panel?  I can't find that.

If you mean the Anchors panel, they are sorted alphabetically, so you can reorder them be renaming them.

I was able to drag individual anchors out of a nested position; you need to drag them so that the indicator appears around the entire list, rather then between or over top of other items.

@fde101 You're right with dragging out.

I tried to drag out between other items but not into list itself because i have a lot bookmarks and small amount off free space.

But reordering by renaming is no go. 

When manually created they should be displayed in the same order they where created.
Unless you decide to reorder them by dragging into the desired position.

The primary purpose of anchors is to serve as places for hyperlinks to jump to.  From that perspective the order is irrelevant and tracking a user-defined order seems unnecessary.

The problem is that Serif chose to overload these to also serve as PDF bookmarks, for which the order is more meaningful.  In so doing, they should have allowed for this, but currently do not.

So yes, I agree that this is an improvement which should be made, but currently the only option is to rename them if you want a different order.

• 1 month later...

It is absolutely ridiculous that the bookmarks rearranging problem has not been fixed in version 2. WTF Affinity? 

I am very tired of having to insert my bookmarks by using Acrobat instead. It is super inefficient to have to re-insert bookmarks everytime I want to make a change to the PDF.

Functional bookmarks are a basic, baseline capability publisher should have always had.

Fix this sh*t.

10 hours ago, Steve Grodz said:

I am very tired of having to insert my bookmarks by using Acrobat instead. It is super inefficient to have to re-insert bookmarks everytime I want to make a change to the PDF.

Why would you insert bookmarks in Acrobat? I have tons of bookmarks in my books, some generated by the TOC and some I added manually. I completely agree that the Anchors panel needs to be fixed and improved - the order isn't helpful, you can't change the order, it is always snapping to the top so I lose my place, it expands all nested bookmarks every time I do anything, etc. - but it does actually work and it generates correct bookmarks.

Here's a suggestion to avoid the Anchors panel as much as possible - if you don't have a TOC because it's not that type of publication, add a TOC anyway - make the TOC page a separate section at the end of the document that is excluded on printing and export and select Include headings before TOC in the TOC panel. Use heading text styles in the document and when you generate the TOC it will generate nested anchors that will export as PDF bookmarks in the right order. If you need to bookmark something for which there is no heading, just add a heading on a hidden layer. Doing this will eliminate having to use the Anchors panel.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

THanks Mike. Actually I didnt realise - and only discovered just now by experimenting - that as you suggest publisher does present the bookmarks in the correct order in the final PDF doc - it's just super fiddly inserting them in publisher itself (orders them wrong, opens up all the nested bookmarks etc). So it's not as bad as I thought - you can at least do it, and hopefully only do it once. 

Thanks for the contents idea too, although I have not gone that route. 

Still, ultimately, cmon affinity just make the bookmarks more user friendly, jeez.