You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Create selection ellipse, inside another selection ellipse - how? (images inside)

I am following a photoshop tutorial, he was able to go into selections, choose an ellipse selection, create a circle ️ and then he brought up the ui, and chose *transform* selection, and then added another selection ellipse inside an existing selection ellipse. I want to do that as well. 

I can’t find a transform for affinity photo 2 selection. So i tried, creating an ellipse selection, inside an existing ellipse selection… not possible it will disappear.. (i used intersect, add, new) to no avail.. the goal is to have two selection ellipses like this:

IMG_2272.thumb.png.1921f661073fd7d670bacacaedd68492.png

in the youtube tutorial I’m watching (for photoshop), he was able to achieve what I show above, by transforming one of the selection ellipses:

IMG_2273.thumb.jpeg.3a94c82e3495fb557038cee76a8483bd.jpeg

The end result, I am trying to accomplish, is the same as he did in his video (with the glowing rings on a button).. except i’m trying to accomplish it on my sphere - this is what he accomplished by having two ellipse selections inside each other:

IMG_2274.thumb.jpeg.d3bd0c53c944703e1b9892a7962f476c.jpeg

I know there are other ways to go about this effect (creating border rings) but this technique of having two selection ellipses inside each other, has opened me up to other ideas that I could use it for… so I’m hoping there is way of achieving this. 

Does anybody know how?

I vaguely recall, AP1 had an option to do this, after creating a selection, there was a drag slider option.. that allowed you to create a double of the selection (one inside the other) I can’t find it in AP2 (unless my mind is hallucinating) and no such thing existed in AP1. 

Specs:

• iPad Pro 12.9 (2020 Model

— —- - - — - - - ——- - - —- - - - —- - - - - 

My Affinity Photo iPad Creations:

Urban Ninja vs. Drone || Folded Space || 1st Revolt

With any selection tool active, you can use the mode (new/subtract/add…) to modify the existing by e.g. adding or subtracting to/from.

You can save selections as spare channels in channel panel, and combine them.

The UI is quite different to Photoshop, but you can get Same or similar functionality.

But as you said, in Affinity it is more advisable to use vector shapes, combine them, and then use them either directly as vector masks, or create a pixel mask or selection from them.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

In this specific example, the outline selection might be the best tool

https://affinity.help/photo2/en-US.lproj/pages/Selections/selections_outline.html

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.