You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Stroke weight incorrectly applied in created Style

TomJr

I am using V2.1.1 of Designer, on an M1 Max Mac Studio (4TB SSD, 64 GB Ram, on OS 13.5)

I started by creating an object with a stroke color and stroke weight I wanted to keep as a style.

I created 2 Styles:

- 6 pt, 100% black stroke
- 9 pt, 40% black stroke

When applying what I created to an object or stroke, the stroke width created is NOT what I made in the style. As a matter of fact, the stroke width is different each time I apply it (300 pt, 63.9 pt, etc - strange!). The color seems to work fine.

I'm open to suggestion here, if anyone else can replicate this so it works correctly, let me know. All I know is that I need to manually change the stroke weight to what I created in the style each time after I apply it.

• Staff

Hi @TomJr,

The only way I've been able to replicate this, I started a New Document at 72DPI and created a style from a 6pt stroke and reapplied this to a shape in the same document and the stroke value was correct.  I then tried it in a New Document which was at 300DPI and applying the style gave the 'wrong' value.  I say the wrong value, I suspect it's the correct one for the DPI of the document.

You see a similar thing happen when copying and pasting strokes between different DPI documents.

2 hours ago, stokerg said:

Hi @TomJr,

The only way I've been able to replicate this, I started a New Document at 72DPI and created a style from a 6pt stroke and reapplied this to a shape in the same document and the stroke value was correct.  I then tried it in a New Document which was at 300DPI and applying the style gave the 'wrong' value.  I say the wrong value, I suspect it's the correct one for the DPI of the document.

You see a similar thing happen when copying and pasting strokes between different DPI documents.

I checked what you tried, and I'm seeing that too. However, the experience that brought me here was creating and applying the Style within the same document! I would add the "wrong" value was off by a couple of hundred points! Literally.

However, I think I might have found the solution, based on what you said about resolution. I noticed when I applied the styles I created, the "scale with object" must have been selected when I created the style.

Once I deleted the styles I made, I recreated them with the "scale with object" box unchecked, and that seems to fix it.

Thanks for giving me the idea!

• 1 month later...

Very similar situation happening to me. I created a line style in one document (10 point width + colour at 65%). When I apply the style to a line in another document, the line style applies but at 55.6 points.  The same is occurring to all the styles I created in the other document. As Tom mentioned above, "scale with object" is turned OFF for these styles.

Hi @bcposi,

What is the resolution of the document you used when initially creating your Style and what is the resolution of the document where you are then applying your style...

If the document resolution when creating the style = 400 dpi and the document resolution when applying the style = 72 dpi

• Stroke width factor between document resolutions = 400 / 72 = 5.56
  • Applying the stroke width factor to a 10 pt stroke = 5.56 x 10 pt = 55.6 pt

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

No problem, I'm glad you have everything working as expected now with your files... :)

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse