You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to Export Editable File from Designer V2 to Illustrator? (with layers exported correctly)

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure this is the correct forum to post this. But I'm really hoping someone else has been in this niche corner I am stuck in now.

So I am creating a poster for someone else to use in Adobe Illustrator, and I spent a lot of time in Designer organizing and naming my layers (and actually putting my vector layers into a "layer") but when I try to export to a usable format for Illustrator, Illustrator just opens the file however it pleases without a care in the world for how I have organized the file.

Rather than keeping the naming structure and layer structure I specified, Illustrator mashes everything together under one layer, with no names and no groups. The file I worked so hard on looks like such a sloppy mess. Even my text boxes have been divided into letters that have been converted to curves, rather than a defined box for text to reside in.

So my question is, has anyone had experience successfully getting Designer to talk with Illustrator? If so, what does it take in order to do so?

AffinityOrganizedfileandlayers.thumb.png.01cb6c049592f478cb4b361cea5aa2d5.png

^ here's my Designer panel with my organized layers palette (trying to make it easier for the person I need to deliver this file to to edit)

Illustratorscancer.thumb.png.6eaa16c9b58ee2824227090b2b648cfd.png

^Illustrator destroying a PDF

Ilustratorscancer(openinganEPS).thumb.png.f6c61a3a8596a3ec78cf62cbd88a164b.png

^Illustrator destroying an EPS

Illustratorscancer2.thumb.png.13e27e8028eea621c6b1ea6a49995b75.png

9 hours ago, CJIIIFS said:

Hi everyone,

So my question is, has anyone had experience successfully getting Designer to talk with Illustrator? If so, what does it take in order to do so?

Theoretically SVG could serve as an exchange format, but practically it fails because both programs do not use all functions and also the file format is built differently. And PDF or EPS are also no guarantee for compatibility.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

18 hours ago, CJIIIFS said:

Rather than keeping the naming structure and layer structure I specified, Illustrator mashes everything together under one layer, with no names and no groups. The file I worked so hard on looks like such a sloppy mess. Even my text boxes have been divided into letters that have been converted to curves, rather than a defined box for text to reside in.

You can get Layer layers in Designer to export as Layers in PDFs but everything else will be given generic names, rectangle, pixel layer etc. So if you need to have Everything named SVG may be the way to go. But if you just need the Layers for organizing bunches of layers then you can use PDF if you use Layer layers instead of Groups.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.