You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Unable to edit with "Edit in Affinity Photo" An unexpected error occurred

I have added Affinity Photo as an extension in Apple Photos.  

1. When using Apple Photos, I am able to switch to the Affinity Photo extension and continue editing in Affinity Photo.  
  2. After editing in Affinity, I close and save the document to return to Apple Photos. 
  3. The edited photo is then displayed on Apple Photos
  4. But when I click 'Save Changes' in Apple Photos, I get the error:

image.png.5d62210586c6c46ad285befd85dc3ffc.png

Has anyone encountered and fixed this error? fixed in Apple Photos and/or Affinity Photo?

Thanks for any help.

• Staff

Hi @abe.tomas,

Thanks for your report!

I can confirm that I'm seeing the same error message here currently - previously we've seen this appear occasionally for certain RAW files or images with specific colour profiles, however I've tested a few different documents from Apple Photos and all failed to save when returning.

Therefore I will be reporting this to our developers now, to be resolved in a future update.
Just for information to include in this development report, what version of macOS are you using please?
 Are you editing a RAW file, or raster image from Photos?

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

I was using a HEIC image, I tried it on other HEIC files as well with the same results.  

My MacBook is on Ventura 13.4.1 and using Affinity Photo 2.1.1.

image.png.ea3e183f6fc96c1eb18a65f6e278c4e1.png

Not sure if it helps, I have also attached screen print of the console dump.  Please let me know if you need more info, or copies of the HEIC files.  I will try RAW files created from HALIDE app on my phone (plus also from camera app) and let you know results.

Thanks for your quick response.

Screenshot 2023-07-18 at 11.08.03 PM.png

Update:

I had a picture which had two files (RAW DNG and HEIC).

1. In Apple Photos I set the image to 'Use RAW as Original'. 

• I switched to Affinity Photo and edited the image
  • Closed Affinity Photo and returned to Apple Photos
  • Save the edited image, and did not have any error
  • I then reverted back the image to Original

2. Next in Apple Photos, I set the image to 'Use JPEG as Original'

• I went through a similar process above and did not have any error

I tried testing on another image file.

• HEIC images with no RAW equivalent, edited in Affinity, back to Photos resulted in error when saved
  • Images having both HEIC and RAW versions were edited in Affinity and saved successfully in Apple Photos
  • Please note that my testing was limited just to two other images.    

• Staff

Many thanks for the further information and testing concluded - this is certainly appreciated!

I'm seeing the same behaviour with RAW / RAW+JPEG or RAW+HEIC files so I'll be sure to update our development log regarding this now - hopefully to be resolved ASAP :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 3 months later...
  • Staff

Welcome to the Affinity Forums @nv086 & sorry to hear you're having trouble!

This issue is unfortunately still logged with our developers at this time.

Unfortunately I'm not aware of any workaround besides exporting the image from Photos to Finder, opening the image for editing in Affinity, exporting back to Finder and then importing this edit back into Photos, my apologies.

I will be sure to 'bump' this with our development team to bring it to their attention once again. I hope this clears things up.

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 3 months later...

I am also having this issue with Affinity Photo 2 V2.3.1, Apple M3 Pro, Sonoma 14.3.1

You product is great but this bug puts a damper on my excitement, and will hamper my desire to recommend this product.

Edited by StMichealMinion
To complain just a little bit more.

• Staff

Sorry to hear this @StMichealMinion!

I'll be sure to raise this with our development team once again - in our testing it does not seem to consistently occur for all users, which unfortunately makes this harder for our team to resolve.

Our sincerest apologies for any inconveniences caused due to this error in the meantime. 

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 2 months later...

So just wanted to chime in to say I'm having the same issue with Affinity version 2.4.2 editing a (Raw+JPG) DNG photo in Photos (9.0) macOS 14.4.1. It doesn't seem to happen all the time, but after trying 3 x to get the same photo done with the same error, a search brought me here.

M2 Mac Studio base model. Photo Library is on a WD Black in an OWC drive bay.

Please let me know if there's any additional info you need.

Thank you