You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pen Tool Shift constraint line issue

Hi 

I am on the latest Designer release on MAC OS.   I have an issue with the PEN tool.  When I press Shift to constraint a line, I only can make a 45° line.  A straight horizontal line is not possible.  When I am on the second node I can make a few angled option and a vertical one.

Horizontal line is not possible.  Yesterday it still worked!  

Perhaps I have pressed something but the toolbar looks clean...no convert or actions selected. 

Any Ideas of what this could be?

Cheers

Hendrik 

• Staff

Hi @Focus9,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

I'm unable to replicate this here currently - can you please provide a screen recording showing this issue, or screenshots showing your Pen Tool settings on the Context Toolbar, as well as your Snapping settings for the document etc?

If you're unsure how to take a screen recording, please check out our FAQ linked below - 

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

2 hours ago, Focus9 said:

Yesterday it still worked!

Do you experience this horizontal shift-key constraint issue also with the Node Tool -> move node / or the Move Tool -> move or rotate objects? If yes, maybe an app relaunch or a mac reboot does help?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Hi Thomaso,

I have the same issue with the Node tool.  

In the meantime I have created a new document and here the Pen Tool works as it should be.  No issues.

So it must be a document related issue.  Weird, 

Cheers,

- Hendrik 

If it's the document you could upload it here for further investigation by the developers. If it contains private data you could test first if the issue still exists if you have objects deleted.

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that Focus9, my next suggestion was to try this in a new document so it's certainly interesting to know this is only occurring in one file.

As thomaso has requested, are you able to attach a copy of the Affinity file here that displays this behaviour? If you'd like a private upload link please don't hesitate to ask :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

I did see your previous screen recording, thanks for that - however unfortunately this does not provide a cause for the issue in your file, as I'm not seeing the same behaviour in a document with the same options enabled for the Pen Tool.

Out of interest, what Snapping options do you have enabled within this document? You can find the Snapping options by expanding the 'Magnet' icon along the top toolbar:

image.png

I certainly understand regarding confidentiality, should you wish to provide your document it will be visible only to internal Serif staff and removed from our systems once no longer required by our team.

You can upload your file to the below link should you wish, once uploaded please reply here to let me know and I will investigate further - 

https://www.dropbox.com/request/euSMB4qEXJcCRSmjGaPD

Many thanks once again :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

1 hour ago, Focus9 said:

too much confidential information in the Document.

Does this mean the issue when creating a new object is related to an existing object and disappears if you have layers deleted? (all or confidentials only)

20 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Does this mean the issue when creating a new object is related to an existing object and disappears if you have layers deleted? (all or confidentials only)

No matter where I now use the pen tool in the Layer stack its behaviour is as described. 

Just now, Focus9 said:

No matter where I now use the pen tool in the Layer stack its behaviour is as described. 

Yes, I thought so. I am rather curious if it still occurs if there are no layers in this document (or just a few irrelevant layers left). Because this might mean the issue is either caused by a corruption of the document – or a by a specific existing object although it affects a certain tool / key function and the creation of new objects.

43 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Yes, I thought so. I am rather curious if it still occurs if there are no layers in this document (or just a few irrelevant layers left). Because this might mean the issue is either caused by a corruption of the document – or a by a specific existing object although it affects a certain tool / key function and the creation of new objects.

I have duplicated the file and deleted all Layers.  Here is the result. 

• Staff

Thanks for your screenshot and further screen recording - though unfortunately I'm still unable to replicate this issue.

Are you able to please provide a copy of your .afdesign file with all layers deleted, so I can test with your document directly?

Please note -

Many thanks!

14 hours ago, Dan C said:

Thanks for your screenshot and further screen recording - though unfortunately I'm still unable to replicate this issue.

Are you able to please provide a copy of your .afdesign file with all layers deleted, so I can test with your document directly?

I have uploaded the file in the Dropbox. 

• Staff

Many thanks for providing that for me! This is due to your Grids and Snapping Axis setting, where Horizontal Axis has been set to Do not add. Please see the below screen recording showing this behaviour, and how to adjust it -

I hope this clears things up :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

37 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Many thanks for providing that for me! This is due to your Grids and Snapping Axis setting, where Horizontal Axis has been set to Do not add. Please see the below screen recording showing this behaviour, and how to adjust it -

I hope this clears things up :)

Thank you. It works again 🙂 Not sure how this was switched off... I was not in the Grid and Axis menu 🙂  But anyway....it is fine now.