You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Seamless iCloud between Mac and iPad apps.

It's been an issue for a really long time and it still seems to of not appeared in version 2.1, when will we be able to create a document on the iPad app and when going back to the main screen it automatically save to iCloud for us to pick up on desktop? Currently it has to be saved each time you want it to upload for iCloud to realise it needs syncing. How can we do it so that its automatically saving the second we close the app?

So many other apps do this automatically and the amount of times I've made something on iPad and then Gond to desktop and forgotten is really annoying, especially if I haven't got my iPad handy to save over. It's just really inefficient as it currently stands.

On 7/5/2023 at 4:42 PM, Obie said:

It's been an issue for a really long time and it still seems to of not appeared in version 2.1, when will we be able to create a document on the iPad app and when going back to the main screen it automatically save to iCloud for us to pick up on desktop? Currently it has to be saved each time you want it to upload for iCloud to realise it needs syncing. How can we do it so that its automatically saving the second we close the app?

So many other apps do this automatically and the amount of times I've made something on iPad and then Gond to desktop and forgotten is really annoying, especially if I haven't got my iPad handy to save over. It's just really inefficient as it currently stands.

Yes the only solution is to remove the document sandbox on the iPad apps which is the cause of this ongoing problem and replace with the Recent documents view as per the desktop apps, then when a document is saved ..... it really is saved !

A preferences option needs to be permanently set per user to save with history or not so that it is up to the user whether to have large file sizes with history or compact files sizes without history, again, same as the desktop versions.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

1 hour ago, Paul Mudditt said:

then when a document is saved ..... it really is saved !

With the Sandbox, when a document is Saved, it really is saved. So that's not the problem, as I understand it.

The problem comes when the document is updated in the File System by something else. In that case, the Sandbox does not recognize that. So today you also have to Close the document in the Sandbox, and reopen it from the File System.

Perhaps, when the file in the Sandbox also exists in the File System, the application should confirm with the File System whether the File System copy is newer, and prompt the user to refresh it.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

22 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

With the Sandbox, when a document is Saved, it really is saved. So that's not the problem, as I understand it.

The problem comes when the document is updated in the File System by something else. In that case, the Sandbox does not recognize that. So today you also have to Close the document in the Sandbox, and reopen it from the File System.

Perhaps, when the file in the Sandbox also exists in the File System, the application should confirm with the File System whether the File System copy is newer, and prompt the user to refresh it.

We are sort of saying the same thing, there are 2 copies of the file on the iPad when saved, the internal 'memory' version in the sandbox and an external 'file' version in a cloud folder.

My conjecture is that occasionally there can be a discrepancy between what you think you are saving and what is actually saved. This could be a Serif bug but just as likely it could be  how IOS caches data and how IOS multi-tasking differs from desktop operating systems.

This is why I don't trust a file saved to a cloud folder is actually 'fully' updated until the close command is issued and the internal link between the 'memory' and 'file' version is broken.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help