You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

v2 Masking / Clipping Changes

Hi, The way I used to do this on v1 no longer seems to work. In order to clip/mask an item I used to drag the items I wanted masked slightly below and to the right of the mask and everything would be enclosed and masked nicely.

Now it seems I have to actually drag the items to the right of the thumbnail and yes they're masked but I'm now left with a visible line, on both the vector and any raster exports.

Am I doing something wrong here? Any help much appreciated, 

Ash

Screenshot 2023-07-02 at 10.29.20.png

Screenshot 2023-07-02 at 10.29.37.png

If possible upload the actual file.

check if „precise clipping“ is activated in settings.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

It’s in the performance section in Designer.

https://affinity.help/designer2/en-US.lproj/pages/Workspace/preferences.html

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

27 minutes ago, Ash Eldritch said:

Sorry the file is far too large to upload. Under which section would I find precise clipping in settings?

Can you extract just those layers causing the issue, and upload?

Hi, sorry for delay, I extracted just that layer and thought something strange was going on as when I put it in a file on it's own the outer line no longer appeared. Anyway, after some tests it appears the line is being caused by the layer(s) below. The lower masks are an exact copy of the mask above, so shouldn't show, but for some reason it seems to protrude. Add more below and it gets worse.

I've included the files, hoping you can make head or tail of it.

Much appreciated. 

hmm, this is a complex document.

the problem arises from the group called  "Grass shading dark". It really has no regular contribution (to the relevant area in the document), but anti-aliasing let it shine shroud at edges, which is unwanted in this specific case. This is a principle challenge, not unique to Affinity apps. 

Thanks for getting back. It is indeed a very complex document with probably 100s of thousands of layers. So although that trouble layer appears to have no direct link, without it the layer above looks incorrect. I might try reverse masking to see if that could possibly solve it but my main issue is it's not a problem I ever had in v1. That was able to handle it fine. The entire document was done in v1 I'm only now coming back to make a few alterations and finding several key areas where, for me, v1 is better than v2. 

My issue going forward, if there's no solution, is I'm going to have to decide if I can still use v2 as with the complexity of my work those lines could cause colour/image anomalies. 

Either way, thanks for looking.