You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Finding a particular sidenote

If you know what the text should be, Find should locate it for you.

Also, it should be after 85 and before 87, so a visual inspection might find it, but you've probably already tried that :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

There is an issue with footnotes in that sometimes they get hidden behind the frame instead of being shown below. I imagine the same issue might happen with sidenotes. Look at the Layers panel for the page the note should be on. Expand the text frame group - a text frame with notes will be a group because the notes are child layers. Click on each child layer and see where it is. If size handles appear for a layer in a place they shouldn't be, such as below the text frame, you'll have found the stray sidenote. If this is the case please let Serif know so that your report could be added to that other bug.

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

15 hours ago, MikeTO said:

Expand the text frame group

Good idea, but nothing revealed. I've also noticed that the numbering goes astray over a section i.e. it's correct at the end of a section, and, if numbering is going to go awry (which it doesn't always), then it will do so at the beginning of the next section.

4 hours ago, AnthonyMarrian said:

Good idea, but nothing revealed. I've also noticed that the numbering goes astray over a section i.e. it's correct at the end of a section, and, if numbering is going to go awry (which it doesn't always), then it will do so at the beginning of the next section.

Could you test that out by temporarily changing your section to start on the next page or spread? Sections are so limited in Affinity, they're really just for page numbering, that I'm unsure how it could affect a note. It's worth a test though.

Are your frames linked from one section to the next?

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

To avoid my book becoming unmanageable, I've split it into self-contained sections. There is no frame link between sections. When I create the  book, I just add the sections in the right order, and then export the book to PDF. If I add a page to the section before the number oddity, it makes no difference to the numbering.

18 minutes ago, AnthonyMarrian said:

To avoid my book becoming unmanageable, I've split it into self-contained sections. There is no frame link between sections. When I create the  book, I just add the sections in the right order, and then export the book to PDF. If I add a page to the section before the number oddity, it makes no difference to the numbering.

If the numbering is going awry at the start of the section this is something different. You can test for this by adding or removing a note in the last frame of the previous section. Let's say section 1 has notes 1-20 and section 2 starts with note 22 and you're trying to figure out what happened to missing note 11. If you add a note to the end of section 1 does section 2's first note change to 23 or stay at 22? (You could also temporarily remove a note from section 1 as a test.)

The design of document-wide vs. custom notes is a bit confusing so it's possible that the first note in the next section may be custom. I suggest placing the cursor in a note in the first section, ensuring Restart Every is set to Document, that Document-Wide is set, and then choose Revert All Sidenotes to Document Settings.

Good luck!