You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Version 2.1.1 batch - hazy results

Why does Version 2.1.1 batch bring on haze?

Please see attachments below, also please note my concerns attached:

1- Original .RAF

2-Macro procedure .afmacro

3-Macro steps as screen capture

4-Result from Single macro application  -- not good, but still better than batch 

5-Result from Batch macro application -- haze increases compared to single photo

6-Result from Adobe Elements with similar macro steps -- Significantly stronger effects.  I hope to "strengthen" or "scale up" the enhancement effects with Affinity the way Adobe provides.

test macro.jpg

macro Single .jpg

macro Batch.jpg

Adobe Level Dehaze HighlightShadow   .jpg

Original.RAF test macro.afmacro

1 hour ago, Lee_T said:

Batch processing uses a simpler version of the RAW develop engine,

I thought that, since sometime in 1.8 or 1.9, the batch processing uses the full Develop engine, including all the Develop Assistant settings. The documentation or comments from Serif staff have indicated that Open and New Batch Job used the complete engine, but other functions (Place, Stacking) used the simplified Develop engine.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 6/30/2023 at 5:29 AM, Lee_T said:

I would recommend a batch process with no macro to a format such as a 16bit TIFF to maintain dynamic range. Then run the TIFF's through the batch processor with your macro.

Lee.

It did the same with TIFF as with RAW. But since then I have other macros that do what I want, so I’ll just throw out that one instead of wondering about it.
Still a thing that comes out of this is the need to apply macro to a set of still opened photos so you don’t have to save them first.

The auto contrast / levels / adjustments might work differently to PS. Using them multiple times on same picture is not advisable.

and maybe the haze removal has the same flaw as other recorded adjustments: it might bake-in data from the image used during macro recording, instead of doing a new calculation during execution time for the actual image. Only Affinity can say for sure.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

4 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

and maybe the haze removal has the same flaw as other recorded adjustments: it might bake-in data from the image used during macro recording, instead of doing a new calculation during execution time for the actual image. Only Affinity can say for sure.

It should be simple enough to experiment with that and determine it empirically, I think. Record the macro using one photo. Try a batch job. If it misbehaves, manually run it against a photo where it misbehaved during a batch job. If it misbehaves when run manually, but still behaves correctly against the original photo, it's a problem with "baked-in" values.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1