You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can't migrate table content after resizing table columns in master page

So I thought I'd try creating a master page with a table to use as a template for several pages with exactly the same sort of table, but this hasn't worked out so well.

On my first page I found that I needed to resize the columns, but I had already typed a bunch of stuff. I can't resize the columns in the locked Master layer table, so I tried updating the column width in the master table, but when I tried to reapply the master it wouldn't just resize the table. instead it copied the old table to a page object and updated the master layer with the empty table.

Am I going to have to use Data Merge for this?

slice2.png.cb7417e51279952dd5c1adc42860264d.pngpRiNt! mOnKeY! 🖨️🙊
💻Lenovo Legion 5 Pro*, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700H, 2300 Mhz, 14 Core, 32GB DDR5-4800, nVidia RTX 3070 Ti 8GB, Windoze 11 💻
*Sometimes gets used for something other than games.

It's the same in V1, eg table on master page, type something into the table on page 1 and the link to the master is broken
Modify the master, reapply it and you get two tables as you've observed but there's a warning message which you may have missed

image.png.208e758993a501b2d186bf47b4f4c6a4.png
So the next challenge is to transfer the old stuff to the new empty table, easy enoughish if the tables are small so the old one can be repositioned but not so good if they're both full page, probably create a new page, relocate the old table to that then copy/paste between the two
Quirky or what?

TableNightmare1.png

TableNightmare2.png

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

6 hours ago, Print Monkey said:

On my first page I found that I needed to resize the columns, but I had already typed a bunch of stuff. I can't resize the columns in the locked Master layer table, so I tried updating the column width in the master table, but when I tried to reapply the master it wouldn't just resize the table. instead it copied the old table to a page object and updated the master layer with the empty table.

Instead, select the table on your main page, right-click and select Edit Linked, adjust the column widths as required and then select Finish from the green bar towards the top of the UI. This should allow you to keep the table on the Master page intact without the need to edit it while allowing you to edit the table on individual pages without needing to reapply the Master or adding duplicate tables.

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

12 hours ago, Print Monkey said:

So I thought I'd try creating a master page with a table to use as a template for several pages with exactly the same sort of table, but this hasn't worked out so well.

You can create a table, adjust its size, set text styles for the body of the table, and save it to Assets panel instead of using it on master page. You can easily pull the table out of Assets panel at the same size as you created it and paste it into any page. I wouldn't use a table on the master page.

15 hours ago, Hangman said:

Instead, select the table on your main page, right-click and select Edit Linked, adjust the column widths as required and then select Finish from the green bar towards the top of the UI. This should allow you to keep the table on the Master page intact without the need to edit it while allowing you to edit the table on individual pages without needing to reapply the Master or adding duplicate tables.

Ok, I didn't know about Edit Linked. I will give that a try. It seems to have worked though I don't completely understand it yet.

9 hours ago, anto said:

You can create a table, adjust its size, set text styles for the body of the table, and save it to Assets panel instead of using it on master page. You can easily pull the table out of Assets panel at the same size as you created it and paste it into any page. I wouldn't use a table on the master page.

Ok, but does that allow you to update pages that already have data in the field?

slice2.png.cb7417e51279952dd5c1adc42860264d.pngpRiNt! mOnKeY! 🖨️🙊
💻Lenovo Legion 5 Pro*, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700H, 2300 Mhz, 14 Core, 32GB DDR5-4800, nVidia RTX 3070 Ti 8GB, Windoze 11 💻
*Sometimes gets used for something other than games.

7 hours ago, Print Monkey said:

Ok, I didn't know about Edit Linked. I will give that a try. It seems to have worked though I don't completely understand it yet.

It basically allows you to edit items from a Master page without changing the original master itself, you are temporarily breaking the link to the master page, making on-page changes and then relinking back to the Master page which means if you then add additional items to the Master page those will still be added to each page.

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse