You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Paint with a seamless texture

In the past I have used Corel Paintshop and it allowed me to add seamless textures to the swatches and then use the various airbrushes, bristle brushes to paint in grass, ground, rock textures to create a scene.  I tried creating an image brush with a seamless texture but it just lays down the seamless texture without any kind of blending which may be achieved with say an airbrush that would paint with a seamless texture.  Is there a way to do this Affinity photo or designer?

You could have a play around with this toolkit

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.5 2.2437
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

Thank you that helped a little bit.  I see from those brushes that if I use the brush nozzle from another brush and then change the base texture to one of the seamless textures I have I can get a little closer to what I could do in Paintshop but its still not quite there.  The base texture is added as a desaturated mask but it would be nice to have the option to retain the color scheme of the original texture image.  The seamless texture image will have variation in shades of rock or foliage colors that gets lost a little when you have to pick a single color from the swatches which makes the result a bit too monochromatic.  It would be nice to have texture swatches that when selected override the base swatch for a brush and include the colors of the swatch so you can paint in with that pattern and colors underlying a brush and additional effects of its nozzle.  

I think you would have to use an image brush for that kind of effect.

There are a few extra things you can do to get something similar to what you are looking for

A. If you use a 'greyscale' seamless pattern when you repeat the brush stroke the pattern should 'fill-in' i.e drift towards a solid colour you can manipulate this by also adjusting the 
B. Try selecting one of the brush and adjust the Luminosity + Saturation Jitter and | or the Hue Jitter in the dynamics. You should be able to with a bit of experimentation achieve some colour variation as you apply brush strokes.
C. As B but make of of the 'Distance' option in the dynamics. This can allow you to control a colour variation along the stroke
D. Use the brushes with a different blend mode (Average is pretty good) but there are lot of options. I tend not to apply these to my brushes as it can get lost in the brush category. Without applying 'normal' to all other brushes once you come across different blend modes it will stick to subsequent selected brushes.
E. If you want to use 'stamp' image brushes. add variation with the accumulation and flow jitter options. Combine this with a sub-brush with different spacing | Flow and size variation

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.5 2.2437
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0

I find Affinity really good for this kind of thing, as anything can be a mask (see screen grab example) go if you make a mask group (or multi mask as I call em) you can add multiple layers of whatever you want that add to the mask

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.4.3 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.3, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.4.0 Betas 2.5.0(2430)

www.bingercreative.co.uk

28 minutes ago, Dazmondo77 said:

I find Affinity really good for this kind of thing, as anything can be a mask (see screen grab example) go if you make a mask group (or multi mask as I call em) you can add multiple layers of whatever you want that add to the mask

Screen Grab 2023-06-24 at 11.55.12 am.mov

Interesting Textures and really useful technique....like it!

There is also the new option of dragging seamless patterns from the assets panel onto the fill swatch. Where you can apply scaling then recolour | Transparency + Layer adjustments. Applying Masking after this would be interesting but have not played around with it!

I found that even though one cannot have swatches based on textures you can have seamless texture assets and drag and drop them on to the Fg/Bg Active Color Swapper and you can paint with a seamless texture.  How it is impacted depends upon the spacing and brush dynamics jitter, rotation etc either you get the seamless textures pattern or a muddy mixture of all its colors.  If you really want to paint with the texture duplicating a brush whose dynamics do not distort the textures pattern too much you can add the seamless texture to the base texture of the brush as well and play around with the base texture size for an improved outcome.  So you can do it but it does require some work.

You can add patterns to the Palette. If you create a seamless texture you can add the result to the colour swatch rather than use it as a style

I did it here for this collection of seamless patterns:

There is a palette to download towards the bottom of the thread

On 6/24/2023 at 6:07 AM, Dazmondo77 said:

Screen Grab 2023-06-24 at 11.55.12 am.mov

Thank you Dazmondo77.  This so far has been the best method to recreate painting with a seamless texture.  I've tried various brushes with base textures, dynamics and the seamless texture as the fill setting but it always ends up with offsets and the more you paint over a section it lays down not the same section of the texture but overlaps with a different one so it gets muddled.  It is a few extra steps as compared to being able to just pick a texture and paint with it in Paintshop but not too bad.  

Also I liked the vector pattern brushes you were using can you share which they are and where you got them... thank you.