You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Editing Brushes is causing repeated crashes of AD 2.1 and 2.1.1, 2.2, 2.3 & 2.4

Hi
(2.1) version of AD

Sorry this is a bit long... but seems to be recurring! in several version

While working on some new ink drawings I came across a couple of issues with 'some' of my most recent brush sets (PB 33 Comic Ink Blocking) (I don't this one is on the forum!). It was created a couple of months ago to help with inking large blocking areas in the Comic Book Toolkit!.. and I have been using it for some time.

Hardware Acceleration is off
There are 19 Brush sets installed (1 original 18 custom sets)

So
1. Clicking on input field in the brush dynamics and trying to tab to the next caused AD to Crash (Also the brush visual blanked out)
2. A couple of duplicate brushes started to appear in the Category list. Strangely you could not get a response from the brush (i.e Activating the dynamics)..Repeated clicking would also crash AD

+
In other brush sets by clicking on random Brushes in other Categories would also cause AD to Crash

So

A. I reset AD 2.1 to default
B. Deleted the standard brush sets that came with the APP
C. Replaced | Imported some of my little collection 

This seemed to fix it for a while!😀

Today I have been working on updating quite an old set creating Version 1.0+ edited in Version 2 and again updated in 2.1 (PB 03 Big-T). mostly build for inking with dots!. To update:
A. Import old brush set to AD 2.1 (2.1 as working on it until new update available!)
B. Save (Export) but rename Category to reflect Version 2
C. Edit brushes in sequence (changes to dynamics [spacing | Jitters | Distance etc])
D. Edit to include new base textures

Unfortunately I seem to have a recurring problem
a. AD crashes on selecting random brushes
b. I tried to delete  the offending brush set this time and just re-import (PB 03) but you can still get crashes
c. The Original Brush set with the edits this week is on the forum here:

d. With the last 5 texture brushes in the set I decided to integrate some additional seamless patterns (From PB 23 dinosaur and PB 19 inker!). So I created 400 x 400 px .png black white | greyscale. but with some recent changes to the dynamics I needed to set the scale at 25%. The idea was to be just able to replace a series of textures and give a bit more flexibility to the brush set. So Needed to set the scale at 25% but delete the pattern so it's an option for each brush.. Clicking back on the Brush later caused AD to crash. I am not sure whether a blank fixed setting caused this issue. 

e. Had to go backwards to salvage the brush set (with Version 2.1.1) installed still crashing

I did not want to put the edited version on the forum as it might be 'knackered'😀

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.5 2.2415
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

• Staff

Hi @StuartRc,

Are you able to upload any brush packs that are crashing for you to our Dropbox here so I can try replicating the crash. 

I did download the brushes from the Project Brush Assets Big- T [Mixed Source] 3 thread you linked to but I've been able to edit and delete brushes just fine with those on my Windows 11 PC.

Just now, stokerg said:

Hi @StuartRc,

Are you able to upload any brush packs that are crashing for you to our Dropbox here so I can try replicating the crash. 

I did download the brushes from the Project Brush Assets Big- T [Mixed Source] 3 thread you linked to but I've been able to edit and delete brushes just fine with those on my Windows 11 PC.

Sure I can do that for you. I was wondering today whether this is because it is an older brush set that  I imported to re-edit. Today I tried the same process and recorded a test video. It is a bit long as I spent time trying to crash it!. Oddly everything was fine!.. So I decided to complete the Brush set....then it crashed almost immediately! 

I will upload both videos so you can see what I was attempting and the persistent crash...It is making things a bit difficult to work with!

I will also upload the brush set as edited (It is almost complete I just needed to test the new patterns!)

NB As I am sure you are aware I am suing Windows 10 Which processed an update a couple of days ago. I believe I logged the latest version in the signature!

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.5 2.2415
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0

Later Brush set uploaded

These are the 2 videos

1. to show what I was attempting (long with no issues)

2. 5 minutes later...crash

1. Attempting to repeat events from yesterday (Crashed yesterday almost every-time I clicked on or tried to edit a brush) So tried a few things with various brush sets to get to fail (It didn't initially) So can just scrub through this one (but it will give you an idea of process)

• Staff

Hi @StuartRc,

I've been editing the brushes since you uploaded them and haven't had a crash yet.

Can you just cause the crash again and then upload the latest crash report, there will be more than 1 report but if you could just upload the latest one, I can get that debugged, while I continue to try and replicate the crash.  To find your crash report, see here: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/168448-where-do-i-find-crash-reports-for-affinity-v2-apps/#comment-963913

Thanks for getting back so soon!

I will do that today!

I had a big experiment with it last night!

I have listed a more exact process....not sure this will help!

Initial Process

a. New file A3
b. Change background COL=Black
c. Switch to PX Persona
d. 5 features (2.1 +2.1.1 ON)
e. Locate and Add PB 03 - Big T A2.afbrushes (date mod= 20 05 2023 |18.59)
f. Adds OK with Dialogue confirmed

Brush list Installed A2

This is the list of brushes installed in reality they have A2 Suffixes has have been modified for V2 with the new dynamics options. As far as I am aware I had not noticed any issues until 2.1 but I may have missed it! If you want to play with the collective brush sets list let me know.. I will save from App to separate folder + the pngs for PB 03 Big-T

The later sets 30 upwards seem to be less effected. These have been created over the last 8 months mostly to supplement the Comic Book Template. late 2022 - 2023. The Dinosaur sets are from Feb-March 2021 and Big-T Version 2 is also Feb 2021 [Ad 1.10 ish]

The later brush sets are not in the resources forum (Comic Grass etc) with the exception of PB 31 Pattern Painter
Forum Resources in Bold

PB 03 Big-T
PB 08 Organics INK A
PB 15 Textured Ink
PB 15 Textured Pencils

PB 17 Concept Painter
PB 19 Concept Texture Base
PB 19 Concept Texture Ink
PB 19 Inker 2022 Special This is Extended INKER 19
PB 19 Inker Texture TK
PB 23 Dinosaur Ink
PB 23 Dinosaur Skin Patterns
PB 28 Ink Stipple

PB 29 Grass
PB 30 Comic Grunge
PB 31 Pattern Painter TK
PB 32 Comic Concept
PB 32 Comic Dot
PB 32 Comic Sketcher
PB 33 Comic Ink Blocker

Process After Install

a. Select Category
b. Select A random brush (tend to first try Any of the grunge Painters 1-6 ink Big-T to start with)
c. Paint on Canvas
d. Switch Brushes (Including with Dialogue box open)

Repeat until crash! sometimes straight away! alternative=not so!

f. Change Brush Category and repeat

I have had crashes with Dinosaur patterns and Concept Texture base just by repeating the process and scribbling on the canvas. Later Brushes (V2 upwards) seem to be a bit more stable older brushes ..not so!

Testing

Last night I experimented with switching off the new Category options on the brushes panel
Show as List
Show Brush Names

Autoscroll
Auto Switch Category
Enable Allocated Tools

With all off I could get more stability
With List and Brush names on seemed stable but by changing brushes with dialogue box open the process can be a bit 'clunky' seems to slow the process of editing dynamics!

Turn on rest 1 at a time and use brushes until it fails

I was not sure whether switching everything off and them importing the brushes OR activated List and Names then importing was having any influence on the results

Also tried APhoto last night!

But there is certainly an  issue somewhere with this config and 2.1 and 2.1.1 + these brush sets that I cannot resolve!😀

Crash Reports
No Problem
I have a couple from the last few days including one yesterday:
.zip below

I will try and force a crash today and see if there is another report.. AD has crashed a lot on me in last couple of days but only 1 report. 

08b0762b-316c-4a92-8dc1-a066c8cfa445.zip

Crash Reports
OK Tried to follow same process. Scribbling with Dinosaur Patterns this time with all 5 Brush Category options on. 
Brush options | Dialogue Box open on screen.
Changing brushes and categories them quick scribble on canvas until it fails.
Had to quit again through Windows Task Manager.
No crash report created! (I have the window open!)

Seems to Crash if you just keep selecting different brushes in the category. With or without the Brush Dynamics Panel Open

Took me about 10 mins!

Just progressively worse. Eventually it became impossible to use the app. Everytime I clicked on a brush in px Personal App stopped responding. Had to quit everytime using Windows.
So

Uninstalled all 2.1 apps downloaded latest versions from account.
Reset app content (All of it!)
Removed all brushes that came with app (again!)
Installed a small collection of raster brush sets (Mostly latest Comic ones + Inker)

This worked for now! So I can use the app...but not convinced I have solved the problem! No longer installing older brush sets..

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update
This has started again today! I only have 8 brush sets installed. All older versions were removed so I could do some drawing.  

So with brush editing panel open and swopping brushes in the brushes panel locks up AD 2.1.

The strange thing is that when I closed down 2.1 and opened the latest beta 2.2 selecting a brush in the brush panel crashed immediately...was not expecting that! didn't even get a chance to touch the artboard!😀

• 2 months later...

Hi
This occurs in the 2.2.0 live version

Still having this issue today. Really strange I tried re-setting app and limiting the number of brush sets in the live version but ignoring the beta version which has a greater diversity of brush sets.  
So when selecting (attempting to edit dynamics) and switching between brushes with dynamics dialogue open the app locks up...When I switched to the Beta version just clicking on the first active brush set | brush caused immediate crash

I tried de-activating all the new context menu options and deselecting an artboard before use but I still don't seem to be able to work out the cause. Only in that older brush sets seem to fail after import!

• 1 month later...

Hi 

I understand your frustration. I gave up creating any new brushes. Could not work out what the issue was!.. I have had a couple of crashes with the new patch update as well. I can still work with the app so long as I don't get involved in editing | duplicating brushes etc.

Been waiting for the missing field bug as well as you cannot really edit sub-brushes (well except in beta version)

I resorted to reinstall and stripping out all but essential brushes.. stopped the constant crash but still happens...as I found out yesterday!

• 1 month later...

Hi

As we have a new update! I decided to have a go at updating the old brush set again!. Unfortunately I appear to be getting repeated crashes when selecting brushes in the brushes panel. This one appears to be slightly different from the previous repeated crashes (Some attached in associated .zip file). As instead of locking up the app such that I had to resort to Task Manager to release the crash. This time it just closes the app on selection of a brush.

Process 

This time as it is a new 2.3 update:
1.  I reset the applications defaulted all all the assets | brushes | styles | palettes etc. and disconnected the account (just to see whether this was part of the problem!)
2. Removed all Raster brush sets (Default)
3. Imported a collection of brush sets (including the one needed for edit) using File>Import Content (brush sets only!)
4. Checked nozzle status of Big-T brush set against recorded sheet (having removed the samples) It crashed on third brush selection
5. Repeated and recorded events. It was repeatable! and crashed again in exactly the same place as attached Video (A recording of re-tracked events)

The recorded process is just a nozzle check against the saved nozzles in the test sheet. 

Crash reports
Added the 2 crash reports associated with the video above and 3 previous

Issue with brushes.zip

'Show as List' and 'Show Brush Names' are the only features active on the brush context menu

Hi

Not sure whether this is a related bug or as expected in the process:

But
On trying this again today Double Clicking the brushes in the brush panel is crashing. But I also noticed that if you change the focus of the underlying artboard you cannot retrieve the brush panel settings by clicking on the brushes. The Panel has to be closed first

Later Crash reports.zip

8 hours ago, JhonatanS said:

@StuartRc update regard my end, recently I have switched to Mac OS, and the crashes while editing brushes doesn't seems to happen in MacOS,

probably this is a bug related with Affinity on Windows. I hope the team will take care of it, I have students that use and get my brushes.

Thanks for responding
It is a strange bug/issue I see. but seems to affect older brushes the most. might be 2 bugs here in this thread though! the later video looks a bit different!

• 1 month later...

Hi
being a bit optimistic.. but thought I would check!
Trying this again today!
.....with 2.4 beta and 2.3 live...Still having issues but was wondering whether it is the process or sequence of events that leads to repeated crashing.

So I have a little set up:
1 Open AD 2.3 or 2.,4 beta
2. New File A3
3. Include artboard (Don't do anything with it but should remain selected!)
4. Switch to Pixel Persona
5. Activate Brush set (not sure whether it is any...but you can download some of mine out of resources!...There is a list in this thread!)
Notes. At this stage the Artboard is selected! | The Brush tool is not selected!
6. Select a brush (DD Click to open Brush Panel)...do not make any edits!
7. Then Fun part.... change the brush in Brush Category Panel just by clicking on brush nozzle display Repeat...until AD folds!

maybe someone else could give it a go!

Not sure whether the key thing is that the artboard remains selected or Brush Panel open when you select another brush or both! or something else!

i have some crazy idea, could you try disable (shutdown) all background software

- all that Asus, motherboard, various updaters, even gaming platforms like Steam/Origin etc running in background? maybe even try without wacom software running

There is also another potential problem, R9 380 is no longer supported and lastest drivers are from JUN 2022 (almost 2 years old). so it could be some HW acceleration issue. (AMD has rewritten whole OpenGL stack in drivers after support of your GPU was dropped - end of 2022)

Mine 1.x was freezing in 5-30mins of work because of background running software all the time which was annoying, could not even listen to podcast running minimized in a browser...

Core i7 4770 - AMD Radeon RX 6500XT - 32GB RAM - Asus z87-Pro - Asus Phoebus - Windows 7 x64 SP1 / Windows 10 x64) - https://danielmoravek.com

1 hour ago, Danielcz said:

i have some crazy idea, could you try disable (shutdown) all background software

- all that Asus, motherboard, various updaters, even gaming platforms like Steam/Origin etc running in background? maybe even try without wacom software running

There is also another potential problem, R9 380 is no longer supported and lastest drivers are from JUN 2022 (almost 2 years old). so it could be some HW acceleration issue. (AMD has rewritten whole OpenGL stack in drivers after support of your GPU was dropped - end of 2022)

Mine 1.x was freezing in 5-30mins of work because of background running software all the time which was annoying, could not even listen to podcast running minimized in a browser...

Hi

It is not that crazy....thanks for replying!..
I have tried a couple of your suggestions previously...
Turning off OpenGL (HA) is the first thing I do when upgrading apps.. Having it on can generate a few weird issues and lagging with the brushes. 
With regard to switching off background software...totally agree with that one...Google Browser can degrade the 'brush operation' it can be quite noticeable. So it tend to run with most things closed. I ran it for a bit without GPU Tweak II (Aware 3 III causes issues) so did not update anyway.... didn't have much effect

Yep the R380 is old...might be time to upgrade it! could be a last resort.