You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Linked files not shared between iPad and MacOS

I have the whole suite on multiple platforms. I mostly work on MacOS, but wanted to have an alternative workflow both for travelling and to make use of the iPad as a graphics tablet (replacing an old Wacom). I have found the following problem with linked files accessed separately from iPad and MacOS.

1. Using files on a shared hard drive I opened a DNG file on the iPad, did some edits then saved as a linked file in the same directory as the original. After closing the file I could re-open it on the iPad and see the earlier edits as expected.
  2. I tried opening the same .afphoto file on the desktop and it asked me to re-link to the original. I was able to re-link, but this would be a hopeless workflow if I had to do this every time.
  3. If I tried the reverse (edit on desktop then try to open .afphoto on iPad) the .afphoto files are all greyed out so I cannot re-link.
  4. As an aside, none of these edits show up in recents on the iPad.

This is a shame since editing on the iPad was reasonable, allowing me to use Apple pencil. As it stand this is an impossible workflow, so I'll have to stick to the desktop and use a Macbook Pro while travelling.

11 minutes ago, stuartbarry said:

As an aside, none of these edits show up in recents on the iPad.

Certainly nothing you did on the Mac would show up in Recents on the iPad, as Recent is specific to the application and service you used. 

13 minutes ago, stuartbarry said:

I tried opening the same .afphoto file on the desktop and it asked me to re-link to the original. I was able to re-link, but this would be a hopeless workflow if I had to do this every time.

Exactly where were the DNG and the .afphoto file saved? 

15 minutes ago, stuartbarry said:

If I tried the reverse (edit on desktop then try to open .afphoto on iPad) the .afphoto files are all greyed out so I cannot re-link

That seems odd. Can you provide a screenshot so we can see what we can spot?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

When I mentioned recents I was talking exclusively about the iPad. I tried doing all these tests again using 2 test files on the desktop (shared through iCloud on both devices). This time the photo did appear in recents on the iPad. The iPad does not seem to like files on an external server/hard drive.

File SB1 opened and modified on iPad. Mac wanted to re-link to original DNG. Out of interest, went back to the afphoto and opened again on iPad, made some changes, saved and the mac could read it.

Tried it all again with a second file with same results as originally. iPad edited file sb2, mac could not read it, but could re-link. Modified and tried to open with iPad, but it could not identify original and wanted re-link - but this was greayed out.

See screenshots.Screenshot2023-06-16at17_22_06.thumb.png.c6aa5837a50541073b9045b11c752886.pngScreenshot2023-06-16at17_23_25.thumb.png.c61c8663a965804dcf184055e9fd9aa5.pngScreenshot2023-06-16at17_26_24.png.87621ff893d0a9b8ed756c530251d9c1.pngScreenshot2023-06-16at17_26_49.png.e075b3fdc3420668c4c0c9168940b8f1.png

• Staff

@stuartbarry

Below is the workflow I went through without any issues, can you double check this on your setup. I only used iCloud as I don't have setup/use shared locations, this may be part of the issue as it may be the way iPadOS and macOS link files stored of them may differ slightly. In reference to greyed out files, if you just use the Files app to browse are they available or also greyed out?  As our apps use the Files API from Apple to browse to various locations to open,save etc we are limited on what changes can be made.

1. Opened RAW file stored on iCloud using Photo for iPad, set to Linked in the Develop persona made some basic adjustments.
  2. Saved on iPad to same folder on iCloud RAW file is also stored.
  3. Using Photo for macOS, used File > Open to select .afphoto file from the save folder on iCloud. (No prompt regarding relinking, confirmed linked using Resource Manager.)
  4. Applied some further adjustments and used File > Save.
  5. In Photo for iPad used Open Document option and browsed to saved folder on iCloud and selected .afphoto file, loaded no problem with all current adjustments. (No files greyed out when browsing to select the saved .afphoto file.)

• 6 months later...

Sorry, I missed this and have just come across it again.

I tried a few tests. It does not matter much whether files are stored in iCloud or an external drive. The main conclusion is that if the file is initially created on the iPad then everything works properly - it can be manipulated and saved from either end. But if the file is originally created on the Mac then the iPad comes up with the missing resource error. Since my main aim is to use the iPad as a graphics tablet I may skip this workflow and go back to trying Sidecar to use the iPad as an external monitor.