You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can't open files in Publisher

I've been using Publisher 2 for a while but for the last few days, I can't open my files. I just get this loading message but it gets stuck about halfway. I have uninstalled and re-installed it but it's still happening. I've tried it with different files so it's not just one that it's happening with. Should I uninstall it and try again? Thanks!

Screenshot 2023-06-16 at 11.22.09.png

Which MacOS version do you use and from where do you open/load the files, aka from your local drive, some external/remote connected drive or some cloudspace drive? - And what happens, if you try to create and save a new document file?

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

I'm using Ventura 13.3.1 and I did have it saved in my iCloud drive. I moved it to my local drive then duplicated it and now it has opened. Not sure if that was the issue or not but it seems to be fine now. Thanks!! Should I just keep files on my local drive rather than in iCloud?

4 minutes ago, jilanne said:

Should I just keep files on my local drive rather than in iCloud?

Always work with files on your local drive, use iCloud just for keeping backups by copying/moving files manually between your local and iCloud drive. - So never work on iCloud files directly, always copy them first to your local drive, also always save onto your local drive!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• 3 weeks later...

After upgrading my Mac to Ventura, I had problems with my finder. Freezing and crashing. After some research a found, that this new MacOS uses a different connection to cloud systems. So I had to switch all my usual cloud connections, that were active in the background.

• 1 month later...

hello, AP newbie here, similar issue:

(had originally posted in the wrong section - pre-V2 archive, apologies)

I created a file on Aug. 12 (while I was running the previous iOS version - have just upgraded to Ventura 13.5.1, hoping it might fix the problem). Now the file doesn't load, the loading bar goes all the way and then stops there. AP freezes and the only way out is to force quit. File is roughly 130Mb, was originally saved to icloud but then moved to my local drive, just as it was suggested here.

Another (way smaller) file created the same day opens without problems (it had been saved to icloud as well).

Could it be that saving to icloud damaged the file? It would be quite a disaster :( I hope that someone can look into it and see if it's recoverable in any way.

macbookpro 2,3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9

ventura 13.5.1

AP 2.1.1

I'm still in the trial period and would hate to run into a similar problem again :(

Many many thanks in advance

planner1.afpub

For me the loading bar finally got all the way to the end but nothing seemed to happen after that so I hit the Cancel button & hid APub 2.

But oddly, about 10 seconds after that the file finally opened & APub 2 'unhid' itself.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

For me the loading bar finally got all the way to the end but nothing seemed to happen after that so I hit the Cancel button & hid APub 2.

But oddly, about 10 seconds after that the file finally opened & APub 2 'unhid' itself.

The cancel doesn't always work.

The file loaded for me, too, but only after a super long time. I didn't time it but it was a few minutes even on my M1 Pro. I never see the progress bar for loading a document but I do with your document.

There's something up with this file, I tried saving it under a new name and it worked but it wasn't instantaneous like I'm used to.

If you're unable to load this file at all try renaming or moving the images linked in the document so it can't find them, and don't re-link when prompted. That might let you get the file open.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

12 hours ago, MikeTO said:

The file loaded for me, too, but only after a super long time.

For me, it was about a minute before it reached the end of the progress bar. I only waited about 10-15 seconds more before clicking cancel.

Another oddity for me was that after it finally did open & I later closed it & tried to hide the app, I got the Mac 'beachball' spinner for about 20 seconds before it finally would hide.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

thank you everybody for your answers and tries.

I duplicated and renamed the file, then tried to open it but nothing changed. Unfortunately there are no images linked, so I can't try what @MikeTO suggested.

May I ask @MikeTO to attach the renamed file, so that I can try and see if it works here? I don't know what else to do and I really hate the thought of all that work wasted.

thanks agani ❤️

12 hours ago, marcella.p said:

thank you everybody for your answers and tries.

I duplicated and renamed the file, then tried to open it but nothing changed. Unfortunately there are no images linked, so I can't try what @MikeTO suggested.

May I ask @MikeTO to attach the renamed file, so that I can try and see if it works here? I don't know what else to do and I really hate the thought of all that work wasted.

A re-saved file isn't going to help, the saved one is just as slow to open as the old one. You could open the file and then leave for a while, come back an hour later and see if it's done. If it takes 3-5 minutes on an M1 Pro it might take a long time if you have an older machine.

The problem is the yellow sticky note group on Master A. It's ridiculously complex. Here's a version of your file with it deleted. Deleting it took the same amount of time as it took to open the file in the first place. Now it's less than 1MB and loads instantly. Maybe you can find a simpler yellow sticky note?

revised.afpub

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

• 2 weeks later...

I have the exact same issue. What actually is the solution? The only solution I have found is someone else saving the file on their machine (renaming it) and then sending it back. I have narrowed the bug down to whenever I update my Mac Affinity just breaks permanently. 

For the those that say we shouldn't save in iCloud that isn't a very good plan long term as I want to access these files on the fly. I have used Affinity with iCloud since it first launched. I've never had a problem. I understand things change and I'm willing to help Serif figure out what the bug is and so remove iCloud from the equation (but iCloud is not the problem here). However it doesn't look overly obvious that Serif are trying to fix this issue.