You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Resizing image dimensions and resolution on Grayscale scans

Hello there

I have some scanned black and white negatives returned by the film processors.  They’ve been scanned grayscale as .TIFF’s at 4000 dpi and before working on them in Affinity Photo 2, I’d like to drop them to around 1000px x 700px with a resolution of 300dpi.  

They’re destined to go into an online gallery site and will end up at that size with a final resolution of 100dpi.  In the past and when using Photoshop, I simply made the reductions by using the crop tool to crop to dimensions and reset dpi and all was fine.  However, I’m now using Affinity Photo 2 and despite doing as above, with crop setting at resample and cropping to 1000px x 710px and setting res. too 300dpi, it crops to the correct size but the resolution remains unchanged at 4000. I’ve tried this in Affinity Photo 1 too and get the same outcome. 

I’ve also tried using Document Resize and set the above dimensions and the 300 resolution and the resulting image is hugely pixelated, see attached

I’ve even tried Converting the grayscale format to RGB, not that I’d imagine that would have any effect, but again, to no avail

I’m sure I’m missing something very obvious, but I just can’t think what and I’d truly appreciate any suggestions / solutions you may have.

Best wishes

Rod

resize.jpg

It might be a minor change:

do only one change at a time.

1. crop to define the best part of image and aspect ratio
  2. resize with resample to reduce resolution (don’t touch dpi)
  3. resize without resample to adjust dpi, don’t touch size (dpi is totally irrelevant for online viewing, only gives viewer a hint for intended physical size in cm or inch when printed)

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Can you share one of the TIFF files with us?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hello Both

Thanks so much for the very prompt reply, your system of taking it in bites has solved the problem and it worked perfectly first time.

I'd never have thought of doing it like that and I'm still puzzled why Photoshop can do it without the 'steps'.

As for the images, I'm afraid they aren't mine to share out, sorry.

I really appreciate your time, expertise and assistance.

Best wishes

Rod