You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How can I change how Pixel Tool draws lines between shift+clicking and drawing manually?

Hi,

This is an obscure question so I'll try and explain it clearly. When I use a square, 1-pixel square brush with the Pixel tool, I get two different outcomes between using the straight-line shift+click and drawing the same angled line, even if they're drawn at the same angle, brush size, etc.. When it's drawn manually, even exactly the same in every way, the Tool adds in extra pixels making it look different. Photoshop doesnt seem to do this nearly so much so it's definitely a program thing.

As someone trying to do pixel art I would like to eliminate this as much as possible, so I don't have to do it manually. How can I do this?

Thanks

image_2023-05-31_163249344.png

While the Rise appears to be the same the Run is different. In other words they are not at the same angle.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I drew them from point to point but also following the same line. It's the fact that Affinity adds an extra pixel here and there that makes it look different, unless I'm missing another variable. Like I said this does not happen in Photoshop unless I draw very slowly. The same phenomenon is noticeable when I draw any kind of line in either program: Affinity treats it as if I was drawing slowly and intentionally covering extra pixels even when I am not.

• Staff

Hi @Zlobenia,

Thanks for your post!

I have tested the differences here between Affinity Photo and Photoshop and I can see the issue you are referring to - in Photoshop it's possible to draw a 45° angled line without the 'step' effect when using both the Shift + Click method and when simply drawing manually.
However in Affinity Photo, this is only possible with the Shift + Click method, otherwise the 'step' effect is introduced:

Therefore I'm logging this with our development team to be further investigated and hopefully improved in a future update. I hope this helps :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!