You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I've now done some work with path text and it's quite usable once you get used to how it works.

However, one of the issues I found is that text "radiates out" on circles which means that you have readable text on the top, and ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpᴉsdn (upside down text) at the bottom if you stay on the outside.

I know this is probably a UI nightmare, but it would be cool if it was possible to insert some sort of switch in text so that ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpᴉsdn would turn 180º at that point and became readable text instead.  At the moment, making a button that has both upright top text and upright bottom text requires two separate instances of path text.

There is, of course, every chance that I've missed something and you already have this somewhere.  In that case, apologies and please tell me where it's hiding :).

Cheers, P

Regards, Binc

Warning: dark, twisted sense of humour.  Do not feed after midnight.

Wheat and BS intolerant.  Only use genuine Guinness to lubricate.

Hi Batteriesinc,

I hope you've watched the following official video tutorials regarding this topic:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/10815-in-house-affinity-designer-video-tutorials/

Please scroll down to point 8. Text.

If not, then it's worth a look.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

Hi Seneca, thanks for the reply.

Yes, I actually spent quite some time working through quite a large amount of tutorials (that list is very helpful - now I can tick them off :) ).

Unfortunately, as far as I can tell my question is not addressed.  At the moment you can only get your text upside down if you're on the "other" side of any path - I presume that is because it uses the path as font baseline whereas it's a bit of a guess what a user considers the "top" of a font, which probably explains why this facility doesn't exist.  I can see that completely go wrong with languages with many diacriticals such as Thai, so on rethinking this it is maybe a problem worth avoiding altogether :).

It's not a major issue as I found a way around it - do the two structures once, then group and clone where applicable.  Works :).

Regards, Binc

You're a star - I missed that.  I worked with the arrows but it appears I must have overlooked something (the baseline adjuster, which is actually the most logical way of going about it).

I obviously have to watch that video again and then experiment with it.

Thanks for that!

Regards, Binc

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...