You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer and Photo 2.1.0 multiple crashes

MacOS 13.3.1 iMac 2017 27" retina 64 gigs ram

Designer, Photo, Publisher 2.1.0 (Publisher only crashed once- the rest of the crashes are Photo and Designer)

Files saved in both designer and photo formats. File sizes around 100 - 350 MB. RGB files at 600 px inch, grayscale files at 1200 px inch, 20" x 10" (with .125 bleed for .afdesign files)

-

Hi,

Designer and Photo have crashed multiple times in the last few weeks, seemingly when I do a variety of tasks, which I did not log, sorry; I just cursed, relaunched the apps and went on working. Only occasionally does either app offer to recover the file on relaunch, and that was early on when they first started crashing. I relaunch, open the document from the drive, and it is at the last save point.

I did notice a repeating crash when dragging layers in both photo and designer. It happened four times in a row in Designer when I dragged a mask layer out of a group, and it seemed to not crash when I then tried right-clicking the mask layer first and selected "release mask" before dragging it.

I also had Designer crash several times when I selected File>Edit in Photo... I now close the file (.afdesign format) then open it in Photo from a right-click in the Finder, which has worked successfully so far. This seemed to happen to both .afdesign and .afphoto files when passing them back and forth. These are large files and I suspect memory handling problems.

I checked the crash logs via the Console app. It shows reports for about a half of the recent crashes. They are not .crash files, but are .ips files. Console revealed them in the finder at Library>Logs>DiagnosticReports>Retired. I have attached the contents of the Retired folder.

Thank you!

Chris

Affinity Designer 2 Affinity Store-2023-05-25-101301.ips Affinity Designer 2 Affinity Store-2023-05-26-105935.ips Affinity Designer 2 Affinity Store-2023-05-26-200537.ips Affinity Designer 2 Affinity Store-2023-05-26-205428.ips Affinity Designer 2 Affinity Store-2023-05-27-012630.ips Affinity Designer 2 Affinity Store-2023-05-27-012906.ips Affinity Designer 2 Affinity Store-2023-05-27-191646.ips Affinity Photo 2 Affinity Store-2023-05-25-215034.ips Affinity Photo 2 Affinity Store-2023-05-25-215107.ips

Hi @stokerg,

I may be completely wrong but I'm wondering whether or not the mask dragging out of a group perhaps relates to this post...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

• Staff
38 minutes ago, Hangman said:

I may be completely wrong but I'm wondering whether or not the mask dragging out of a group perhaps relates to this post...

I think you are correct :) and from doing a quick check of both crash reports, it does appear to be the same crash.