You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello all

I am new here.  I  own Paint Shop Pro Ultimate X2, X4, X6, X9, and 2023.  I also own Photoshop CS5.1 and CS 3.0 Extended.

Because I just discovered now that Adobe no longer sells individual copies of Photoshop and is now switching to extremely expensive subscription methods which I cannot afford for home use hence me shopping around for replacement of Photoshop CS5.1 for my new laptop.  Affinity 2.0 is one of possibilities.

I am told that Affinity 2.0 can do all things that Photoshop CS 5.1 can do.  I have questions that I hope any of you can answer.  I am posting few screenshot samples with the specific question accompanying each screenshot.

Can Affinity 2.0 do realistic green and red beacons as seen on this screenshot below??  Can Affinity 2.0 do realistic headlights as seen on this shot below??

yb7.jpg

Can Affinity 2.0 enhance and improve colors of Caribbean waters as seen on this shot ?  This was used in conjunction with Nik Collection plug in.

pp29.jpg

Can Affinity 2.0 do realistic water reflections and snow dust blowing as seen on this shot??

at6.jpg

I certainly hope I am NOT NOT breaking any forum rules by asking too many questions with too many screenshots in single post. Please remember I am NEW on the forums.  

Can Affinity 2.0 being 64 bit software use 32 bit KPT Collection and 32 bit Nik Collection which I am very dependable on?

Regards,

Aharon

KPT filters, that's a flash from the past, you can try installing them, and or pointing Affinity Photos plugin preferences to the KPT filters folder. Re 32bit NIK filters I'm not sure, again you can try pointing to the plugin filter folder.

You can use brushes to create the lights.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Beacons and other light effects can be created with brushes. For snow, fog, dust or smoke you can use different overlays. 

KPT do not work at all with Affinity Photo and the NIK filters only in the 64-bit version.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

Example of lights.

image.thumb.png.795fc93be4e51f5531679c0aa6b8e11c.png

Made a few brushes: Lights.afbrushes

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Should be all doable in APh, as it supports several star shapes and spot lightings etc. for creating star light beam flares and the like, brushes (watercolor brushes) for different snow/fog effects etc. - And manipulating water color and applying water reflection ripples etc. is also all possible.

plane.jpg.0a483b83428297c82aadf10fa000da4e.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Thank you very much to all of you for your kind answers.

Thanks to @firstdefencefor cool brushes.  Yes you are right KPT collection is flash from the past but KPT collection is very very very vital to me.

@v_kyr,  please forgive me for being totally new to Affinity Pro 2.0 but what is the word Aph that you mentioned in your post, please?  Did you make headlight and red beacon in your accompanying photo??  BTW, nice snow splattering dust.  Are those done WITHOUT using add on plugins?  I am going to study your suggested video link for creating realistic water reflections

Regards,

Aharon

Edited by Aharon

25 minutes ago, Aharon said:

but what is the word Aph that you mentioned in your post

Hover with/place your mouse over it and see the popup, then you will know what it is an abbreviation for.

25 minutes ago, Aharon said:

Did you make headlight and red beacon in your accompanying photo??  BTW, nice snow splattering dust.  Are those done WITHOUT using add on plugins?

Yes all done with APh (Affinity Photo) own supplied tools and no third party plugins used! - The red beacon is made out of circle gradients and an adjusted 4 side star shape, with slightly altered transparencies so the runway shines a little bit through. The front wheel star is made in a similar fashion though with more star beams (used an adjusted double star shape for that). - The snow dust is just made with one default white colored watercolor brush.

Instead of using circle/elipse gradients for creating beacons, one can also use the APh Lighting filter (spot, point) which should give even more realistic looking effects.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2