You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

MacOS 13.4, Nik Collection 5, Affinity Photo 1.10.6. Nik filter window not opening

I'm using the above on an M1 Mac Mini.  

I've set out my steps below but I'll summarise here.  

Did a brand new install of Affinity Photo 1.10.6 and of 'Nik Collection 5' into its own folder in 'Applications'.  I followed the DXO advice and the steps in the Nik Collection User Manual for V.5.  I created a new separate folder in 'Applications' and named it 'Nik for Affinity Photo'.  I then did a new installation of Nik Collection 5 into that newly created folder.  When I checked the folder it had a 'DXO' folder within which were folders for each of the Nik Collection Filters.  I then opened Affinity Photo and followed DXO's instructions to activate the Nik 5 plugins properly.  I found that they were effectively already activated since the 'Search Folders' was already filled in with the correct location and the 'Plugin Support Folders' likewise so 'Authorise Global' was already selected and could not be selected again.  I'm presuming this was to some extent because I'd already tried this process unsuccessfully before deciding to try reinstalls of Affinity Photo and Nik 5.  

Anyway, to be sure to be sure I 'Removed' the selected folders and 'Added' them again allowing me to 'Authorise Global'.  I then deselected and reselected 'Allow 'Unknown' plugins to be used.  After all this I closed and reopened Affinity Photo.  The Filters appeared to be there and with an image in place could be selected.  But nothing else happened - no new Nik window, just the existing Affinity Photo window.  Any suggestions much appreciated as I have a pile of old images to process.  Here are my steps in the process.

• New install of Affinity Photo 1.10.6
  • New install of Nik 5 in its own folder
  • Create new separate 'Nik for Affinity Photo' folder
  • Install Nik 5 again to that folder (produces a ‘DXO’ folder inside of which are folders for the Nik filters). 
  • Open Affinity Photo and select Photoshop Plugins.
  • Folder already detected but tried deleting and adding the ‘DXO’ folder again
  • All the plugins showing as detected on the left
  • ‘Authorise Global’ and ‘Allow Unknown Plugins to be used’ already selected.  I 'Remove' and 'Add' back the folders and click 'Authorise Global', untick and tick 'Allow 'Unknown' plugins to be used'. (see attached image).
  • In Affinity Photo I can see the filters and with an image open even select them but the window does not changes to the Nik window - it just stays on the Affinity window.
  • I can select Filters/Plugins/Nik Collection and choose a filter but it never moves on to the Nik window.

Nik Affinity Plugins.png

• Staff

Hi @pipkato,

As far as I can tell nothing stands out to me as incorrect about your install process, I've just followed the same on V1 with Nik Collection 5 and the plugins are launching from Photo as expected.

Without launching the Plugins from Photo, have you checked that you can run the Nik collection apps as standalone applications? If they're also failing to launch as standalone apps, have you checked in the console app for any crash reports relevant to the apps?

Thanks very much NathanC.

Yes, the the Nik Collectio runs fine as standalone apps.  I've been using them for years with Affinity Photo until this issue.  I'm beginning to wonder if it's something to do with the latest MacOS 13.4?

I'm glad to hear they worked fine for you.  I'm wondering if there's something weird about my install sequence.  Does it matter whether a normal standalone install of Nik 5 is done first or second?  Do I have to select the DXO folder created in Affinity Photo or just the enclosing folder?

Regards,

Roy

3 hours ago, pipkato said:

I'm beginning to wonder if it's something to do with the latest MacOS 13.4?

I don't know much about this but I think you may need to run AP in Intel compatible mode via Get Info > Open using Rosetta unless the plugins have been written to support Apple Silicon.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7