You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity publisher crashes when applying master with a developed image to another master page

Whenever I apply my master page that has a RAW image (developed in Publisher, default linked setting), to another master page, the app crashes.

I have tried to go back to a simple and clean file, it still crashes. I went to the release version and the software crashed before I could even develop the RAW image, so I am reporting this with a Beta build.

Cut out the part where it crashed:

Steps to reproduce

1. Create two master pages, one with a text frame for a title and one with an image frame.
  2. Place a RAW image in the image frame.
  3. Click on the RAW image and go to Develop it (e.g. change the exposure)
  4. When done, apply the master with the RAW image to the master with the text
  5. The software crashes

This is on Windows 10.0.19045, using Publisher 2.1.0.1790. Hardware acceleration on.

Also, it appears that if I change the way the image is developed (from linked to pixel layer) it works as expected. However, there seems to be no way to revert back to the linked file nor to replace the image like you would with any regular image.

Hi @Intuos5,

Thanks for your clear & concise report :)

5 hours ago, Intuos5 said:

Steps to reproduce

1. Create two master pages, one with a text frame for a title and one with an image frame.
  2. Place a RAW image in the image frame.
  3. Click on the RAW image and go to Develop it (e.g. change the exposure)
  4. When done, apply the master with the RAW image to the master with the text
  5. The software crashes

I can confirm I have been able to replicate this in both 2.0.4 & 2.1.0.1799 - for me in 2.0.4 the app entered a 'non-responding' state for a short time when accessing the Develop Persona for the RAW file, but did not crash entirely as you mentioned on your system - therefore I am logging this as a bug with our developers now.

5 hours ago, Intuos5 said:

Also, it appears that if I change the way the image is developed (from linked to pixel layer) it works as expected. However, there seems to be no way to revert back to the linked file nor to replace the image like you would with any regular image.

However, I'm not currently seeing this behaviour - after Developing the image to a Linked layer, I then re-entered the Develop Persona, changed a few parameters and then set this to Develop as a Pixel layer.

Once developed, the Pixel layer is selected automatically and therefore no 'replace' option is shown, though if I then select the Picture Frame directly, rather than the Pixel layer, the 'Replace' option is shown on the context toolbar as expected.

Am  I missing a step in the above testing please, or are you able to see this option following this?

Many thanks in advance!

6 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Hi @Intuos5,

Thanks for your clear & concise report :)

I can confirm I have been able to replicate this in both 2.0.4 & 2.1.0.1799 - for me in 2.0.4 the app entered a 'non-responding' state for a short time when accessing the Develop Persona for the RAW file, but did not crash entirely as you mentioned on your system - therefore I am logging this as a bug with our developers now.

Thanks for logging @Dan C!

I hope this could be fixed soon, because it basically stops me from finishing my work. Or I would need to redevelop the photos in Photo and save them as a new image. The crash could have been a fleeting thing, didn't test it thoroughly and it's not an issue in the Beta, so should be fine.

6 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Once developed, the Pixel layer is selected automatically and therefore no 'replace' option is shown, though if I then select the Picture Frame directly, rather than the Pixel layer, the 'Replace' option is shown on the context toolbar as expected.

Am  I missing a step in the above testing please, or are you able to see this option following this?

Ah, yeah I see the issue. I placed the image directly on the page, because it fills the entire page. In that case, there's no going back. ;)

I usually use frames for everything, I just copied the image instead of the image & frame and worked with that. 😏