You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have a Canon EOS R8 and am having a problem. When I try and preview the .cr3 raw files on my Mac which is running iOS Ventura 13.3.1 affinity nor Mac will show me a preview of the the photo. Instead it only shows me the affinity file icon. This makes it near impossible for me to know which photo I want to edit without opening each photo up separately in affinity photo. Affinity photo does open the .cr3 file, however I am opening them blind and do not know which photo I'm opening since I can't preview them. I am using V2. 

• Staff

Hi @Xjdmjunkiex,

This EOS R8  isn't listed in Apple's RAW support for Ventura which appears to be the reason why no thumbnail preview can be seen in Finder, instead the preview will show the default app thumbnail assigned to open this file type, in your case Photo 2's icon. I've linked our official RAW support list as well as Apple's below for reference. It also is not a supported Camera when using the serif labs RAW engine.

https://support.apple.com/en-tj/HT213267

For comparison, on my Ventura mac I downloaded a sample EOS R10 .CR3 file which is officially supported by Apple's RAW engine as well as Photo's raw engine which does generate a thumbnail preview, whilst an EOS R8 .CR3 sample file does not.

Similar query raised on Apple community: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254805983

16 minutes ago, Xjdmjunkiex said:

Does affinity photo plan to add support for the r8 with serif labs in the near future?

Affinity uses the LibRAW open source software for most of its RAW support, so the usual answer is that they can't support it until LibRAW supports it.

But with Canon they also get some functionality via some software they've obtained directly from Canon, so I'm not sure that what LibRAW supports is the complete answer. Maybe someone from Serif can comment further.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1